Options

Electrical Issue

After port motor water lock issue was resolved and new starter was installed, we have experienced electrical issues on the port motor components.  Once the motor is started all electrical components that are powered from the port motor begin to act up (ex. gps, trim tabs, engine hatch lose power). At the same time, lights will come on dim even though switches are not on.  We have had a mechanic spend several hours trying to trace down the problem.  The mechanic feels that it may be a ground issue, but has not been successful at diagnosing the problem.   If anyone has experienced similar issues and have been successful at resolving we appreciate any guidance.  Thank You! 

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly could be a ground issue, but I'd look for a short on the + side too.  Check your + wire from the alternator to make sure it is not grounding from wear (one of mine did this against the manifold).

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod

Agree with BD.  If something comes on when it shouldn't, it sure sounds like a short.  You have to check the obvious stuff like partially seated connectors and pinched harnesses.

A little history may help.  What was done to the engine recently?  Was it completely removed?

Mark

Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

If your mechanic  as good multimeter and knows how to uses it it should not take several hours as you mentioned to do a proper diagnostic, unless something is out of the ordinary. Which I doubt since before the work was done you did not have the problem.