Options

Replacement speakers

jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭

Has anyone replaced the clarion speakers on a 2000 FV 242? I believe they are 6 inch speakers as I have some 6.5 inch that are a little to big. I have read some reviews on amazon about speakers not fitting as advertised and being charged a re-stocking fee. The speakers are 100watt 4ohm.   

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 2001 242 has kenwood speakers. I had to replace the 2 on the the deck and made sure the Kenwoods I replaced them with had the same screw hole pattern. I can't remember if they are 6 or 6.5.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

I replaced the Clarions on my 280 with the Alpine SPS-M600's and they fit the existing hole pattern. They dressed it up a little since they have silver grills as opposed to the white ones on the Clarions. Most 6.5" speakers will fit the existing holes.

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options

Thanks for the input. I think I'll go to West marine and see what I can match up instead of ordering online and maybe having to cut and drill.

• Options
    Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

I put 6 new Infinity 612's (6 1/2") in place of my Sony speakers and they are a great speaker for the price. Search this topic as it has been discussed on here previously. I would check Crutchfield.com for their price and selection too. They have great customer service that might help if you have questions on speaker opening size to get you matched up. Just a thought since I went through this process this spring.
  • Options

Well I went to West Marine and was told my Clarion 1620 was no longer available. The replacement speaker is the Clarion 1622. The screw holes are the same, and the diameter is the same so I thought this would be a direct swap. When I went to install the new speakers in the old holes, they would not fit. It seems the back of the speaker is wider where it tapers back to the magnet. So I will be spending some time with a rasp enlarging the holes until the new speakers fit.

"if it goes too easy, something must be wrong"

• Options
    midwestemidweste Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    edited July 2014

You might as well replace the speakers with the Infiniti 612's if you plan to modify the opening at all. I had to cut new holes for the four pairs I've installed. I used the cardboard that came in the box as a template, marked my circle with a Sharpie, drilled four large holes inside the template circle, the cut the rest with my jigsaw. Very easy to do and you will be shocked how good the 612's sound. 

IMHO, worth the upgrade if you love music as I do.

(Click on my profile pic to see the Infiniti 612 I installed in front of my shifter)

2000 180 Bowrider, 135hp 3.0L Merc, 2.00 Alpha One Gen 2 OD, 14.5 x 19P prop

Regular weekender, trailer stored indoors, Southern Ohio