Options

Do you cover your boat when its raining???

midwestemidweste Member Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hey guys, 

Sitting here at the campground and just about everyone else's boat is uncovered but mine. It's been raining since I arrived last night off and on. On my way here yesterday, every boat that I passed was uncovered and it was raining pretty hard. 

Am I crazy for treating my boat interior like my car??  :#:#:#

2000 180 Bowrider, 135hp 3.0L Merc, 2.00 Alpha One Gen 2 OD, 14.5 x 19P prop

Regular weekender, trailer stored indoors, Southern Ohio  

Post edited by mvn on

Comments

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    No your not crazy at all. Its called taking care of your "stuff" and a little less work cleaning up after rain. 

2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod

It's amazing how quickly an interior can degrade when exposed to the elements,  even one that's designed to be outdoors.   It's ok get things wet to a certain degree but it's also extremely important to dry everything out ASAP. 

Mark

Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Your dash with all  the switches should be cover rain will create all kinds of problems with electrical components.

• Options
    checkmatecheckmate Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

cover is on my boat every night even if its the weekend and I know I'm using it the next day.   Only time its not covered is on my boat trips when I'm spending the night somewhere.   But canvas will go up if I think its gonna rain.   Its a must in order to take care of an expensive purchase that already cost a lot in other ways.

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not cover my boat while traveling with it on a trailer. Highway speeds and canvas don't like each other. Drying a wet boat is cheaper than a new cover. If I was at a campground (or marina) and it was raining, it would be covered.

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭

I would cover my boat rain or shine if I was not using it. Along with water Damaging the interior, ultra violet rays can do a number as well. I see no problem towing with a mooring cover, not a camper cover. If you are concerned about the mooring cover, then tow uncovered, but cover up as soon as you reach your destination.

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always try to prevent water from soaking the interior but as was said I would definitely cover the helm every time I leave the boat if there's ANY chance of rain. we have a really nice camper canvas and a 3' bimini extension over the helm to avoid most light rain days or we simply zip in the windsheild to protect the dash.

There's a difference between a travel cover and a mooring cover. I own a mooring cover (like many of us) to keep rain and grime off the cockpit and it's on the boat whenever it's sitting still on the trailer. A travel cover is far tougher and laced with reinforced straps and hardy snaps for highway speeds. Don't confuse the two or you may end up with an expensive shredded surprise at 60mph. I kind of wish I had a tougher travel cover to keep out rainy day road grime but I just choose my road days carefully and have missed most rainy road trips.

Mike

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    l-skynyrdl-skynyrd Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭

I just got a stupid question.....What is rain?

Have not seen any for so long I have forgotten what it is.....

Len......from drought ridden California

You have to love the water....

Len & Robyn   342 FV  Freebird

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Covered every boat I have had for 40 years. Most sold within days of being listed..If being trailered I used a special trailerable cover only. The guys who don't cover them support all the trades who re-upholster, install electrical equipment and repair rotted floors. That's why you'll see smiling tradesmen passing uncovered boats. MT

• Options
    bigal6030bigal6030 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
    I always cover my boat keeps it nice and clean. Just make sure to let dry out before covering her up.

Big Al - 2006 - 270 Express Crusier

Home port: Hammond Ind.