Options

Water temp at zero on muffs?

I ran my captiva 236 on muffs last night and noticed the water temp gauge not coming up. It does go to 180° when i shut down though. Outside air temp was around 80°. Any ideas? 

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

this, and your previous post about tapping the gauge, leads me to believe you've got some serious corrosion going on in your wiring at the panel... may want to pull the panel and clean, re-solder, tape or heat shrink, and see what happens next.. 

it sounds otherwise like you may be needing a new thermostat.

• Options
    Chrisvr6Chrisvr6 Member Posts: 166 ✭✭

oh yeah. I did change the thermostat and install a vhf radio. That stat can only fit one way i thought. 

• Options
    I really do think now that i just didn't get it hot enough while idling it on the muffs. I mean, that water coming out of the garden hose IS 50°. 

• Options

took the boat out on lake michigan today. The water temp gauge did not come up at all. The hoses do feel warm and it ran really good. What now? Try another stat? 

• Options

I don't know what's going on with thermostats over the last five or six years, but it's my direct experience two in five are bad out of the box... I suspect Asian manufacturing involved, but I digress... 

Anyway, I've made it an absolute point to boil a stat every time I go to install one... And not just once, but boil it to open, yank it out and hit it with an IR temp gun to verify heat range, allow it to close, drop it back in, allow it to open/close, and then again... I wanna see it cycle several times before it goes near my stat neck/housing.. 

Yeah... It's most likely your stat, I'm sorry to say... 

• Options

No way. Thats crazy. Just may do that though. 

• Options

Can i just get a thermostat from the local car parts store? Not even sure the 140° i got is the correct one for my 454 mag. 

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to boil thermoststs on my mother's stove with a thermometer right in her pot. She thought I was nuts (that's another story) but we were street racing small blocks 302 Mustangs and 396 Chevelles and we had to know the thermostats were good. Boiling them was the best way. That was waaaay back before the offshore sh*t was in the stores and even then we had a 1 in 3 failure rate....want to guess what it might be now? DI's 100%. MT

• Options

Yeah, you can Chris, but only because you're in fresh water... Make sure it's a fail safe, which as designed to spring open when they fail, and stay that way... 

• Options

Thanks so much guys. I'll report back.