Options

Got towed tonight

laureniac1laureniac1 Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭

So boat was running great tonght for 5 minutes tonight. Then lost steering and got a constant audible beeping. Went down in engine hatch and my serpintene belt fell off the pulleys. Muscled belt back on and boat cranked over twice and then no more.  Called boat two and got in safe.  Any ideas of what it could be?  Could not even manually move belt I think something locked up.

Comments

• Options
    OldDogNewTrixOldDogNewTrix Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭

Water pump pulley could be seized. Check and see if it is bent too.

Wayne '09 340 EC
  • Options

Copy thanks. Will check out in morning

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Start with the idler pulley, then to each accessory to see if they spin freely.  Properly tensioned, a belt won't just walk off the pulleys without a lot of help,  so look for seized parts and out of alignment parts (usually worn bad).  The belt is probably toast too so don't bother reusing.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options

Thanks. I'm having visions of a seized motor

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lets hope it's only an idler pulley or even a water pump. probably is. No re-start sounds suspicious though.

Just a note. The belt routing sticker on the thermostat housing of my Merc 5.7 is incorrect. Luckily I had taken a picture of my belt prior to removing it or it would've been a nightmare figuring it out. just sayin'. 

Mike

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

The no restart is odd, I agree.  Start with the simple things, any accessory can have bearings fail and seize and throw the belt..you often get belt squeal/smoke if that happens..not always though.  A bad bearing on the idler will throw the belt.

Noting the belt routing is always a good idea....or just have twins so you can reference the other.  lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

L,

If it crank over twice, it probably isn't seized (I'm saying that mainly to try and make you feel better).

I would figure if the engine was seized, you probably couldn't have even got those two turn overs.  It would have cooled really fast while you put the belt on and seized right there.

Is the starter clicking?

Was the belt damaged - ie, is the belt tensioned enough, or slipping on the pulleys?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a power steering pump seize up on me once causing the belt to be thrown. Like the others stated above, check all of the pulleys to make sure they are moving free.

Two cranks of the engine... Wonder if the battery died due to lack of charge?

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options

Thanks everyone. Have not had a chance to get back. Batteries are still fully charged. Nothing was unusually hot when I was putting belt back. My hands where all over the pulleys. Keep you posted

• Options

So my boat is fixed! Boat was in hydraulic lock (water entered through exhaust).  The moral is if boat is failing or alarming throttle back slowly so water does not rush under swim platform and engine. When I lost my power steering because serpentine belt came I power down boat to fast ((yanked throttle to neutral). So pulled spark plugs and boat is good!

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

That will happen, make sure you exhaust shutters are in good working order.

2008 330EC