Looking to buy a 2009 or 2008 Rinker 280 Express Cruiser - need input

bertgorbertgor Member Posts: 7

Hi all:

I am new to this so I hope I am doing this right.  I have 2 Rinker 208 EC's I am looking at.

I was hoping I could get some feedback from a few of you who may have this boat.  I am attracted to it for a variety of reasons.  Some are small enough to tow, generator, AC, available 496 MAG with closed cooling, good layout for our family. 

My questions:

What type of performance can I expect from a 280EC with a 496?  Cruise and WOT?

I have never had a boat with AC.  How well does the AC work on the gen when underway?

How loud is the gen when running?

How is the handling on this boat with a bravo 3?

Thanks!

Bert

Comments

• The Main ExchangeThe Main Exchange Member Posts: 280 ✭✭✭

Bert, we have a 2007 280 EC with gen, ac heat, 8.1 etc.. Where are you located? All round good boat, we cruise around the San Juan Islands, WA.

2007 300 EC, 350 Mags, B3's, Table Rock Lake, MO

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, now there are two guys on this page (recent discussions) thinking of buying 270/280s. You two should compare notes. My 2 cents get the generator and definately get the 496 mag. The 270/280/290 is way too big for a 350 or 377. MT

• The Main ExchangeThe Main Exchange Member Posts: 280 ✭✭✭

I agree get the generator, even though ours currently wont start lol, ac heat, and most important the 8.1, the power is great with all the extra options.

2007 300 EC, 350 Mags, B3's, Table Rock Lake, MO

• seguirseguir Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

My wife and I have a 2009 280.....love it, no gen set, and it only has the 5.7.  It runs great at 4200 RPM doing 23 to 24mph.  I DO wish I had a larger engine, but we are making due with the 5.7.   The bravo 3 makes it a little easier to dock, but it will take a while to get use to.  This boat suits our needs....great for two or three people.
  • seguirseguir Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

No, the boat is stationed at the club.

• wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

Hi Bertgor, I owned a 2008 280 EC for 2 years. My 280 was equipped with the 496 Mercruiser and Bravo 3 drive. The boat performed very well with absolutely no issues getting up on plane with a full load. The boat will cruise at 30 MPH with ease and topped out in the mid to high 40's. Handling was very good, the Bravo 3 makes the boat track straight with no slow speed wander and handle very well in docking maneuvers. In my opinion, the 280 with the 496-B3 power is a cruiser that provides sportboat handling and speed. Additionally, the closed cooling system on the 496 protects the motor from corrosion and makes winterization easy. Based on my experience, I wouldn't consider a 280 EC that didn't have the 496 motor, but that's just my opinion. My 280 EC was not equipped with a generator so I can't provide input relative to that aspect of your question. Good luck with your decision!

• bertgorbertgor Member Posts: 7

We live in Naperville IL.  I was looking at a Formula 27 PC with twins, but none that I see have closed cooling, most don't have a trailer, and even if they do they are too heavy to tow overall.  I like the 270, but not a lot for sale.  There is a 280 in KY and IN.  The IN one has 172 hours on it, 1 owner, and it has a trailer.

Does the AC really cool the cabin down? 

yes, we would.  We have Lake Michigan close by and I love going to the Florida Keys.
  • JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Look at happy days in port Clinton Ohio if you want they will look for what you want jim boroughs is the guy I deal with real straight shooter and will tell how performance is honestly. Great guy bought two rinkers from him already and my next one will be from him.

• TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMHO there's just too much being made of the performance difference between the power choices to eliminate a nice find on any of them. Our 5.7 350 pulls just fine.

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • AustinAustin Member Posts: 16 ✭✭

I just purchased a 2007 280 ex and love it! With gen and a/c

2007 Rinker 280 EC , Volvo Penta GI-H , Generator

• AustinAustin Member Posts: 16 ✭✭

I have the Volvo Penta 8.1 GI-H

2007 Rinker 280 EC , Volvo Penta GI-H , Generator

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 2008 280, 6.2 B3 and love it. No genset, but since I don't overnight on the hook, that isn't much of an issue.

My previous boat was a 232 with an alpha drive. The handling and docking with the B3 is a dream compared to the alpha. I love it and wouldn't look back.

There is a 2005 Merlot 270 with a 6.2 B3 for sale in Pittsburgh. It is a fresh water boat. http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/boa/4549625309.html

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!

Anyone have any input on the difference between the Volvo 8.1 and the Merc 496?  Are they both closed cooled?  I thought they were both a GM block?
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought that you can get the big blocks either closed cooled or sea water cooled. Am I wrong?

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

I've got a buddy in my marina that may be selling his 280 real soon.  RY, it might be perfect for you :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014

....uh you were all about looking for one in your other posts. Hey we have a memory care unit down here that'll help with lapses like that :D Perhaps it's early on-set Diesel-itis.

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • trickyrickytrickyricky Member Posts: 28 ✭✭

Volvo and Merc is more about the outdrive and not the motor.  Volvo is supposed to be a little smoother, which you feel less clunk when going in gear but the Merc is supposed to have slightly better performance. 

I have the 496merc with gen and A/C here in Texas and it does just fine.  Like someone stated before, it tops out in or around the mid 40s but cruises at 24 @3200 rpms. 

I have a trailer and can easily pull it with my F-150 but I prefer to keep it in the marina (it's covered and in a sling out of the water) so I don't have to fight the crowds at the boat ramp. 

Bravo 3 handling is great but with all boats it definitely tracts a lot better slightly above idle, say 1100-1200 rpms. 

It is a great size boat for a family and the occasional party cruise...definitely suggest going with the 496 if for only resale value.  As you have seen, they don't stay on the market long. 

2004 270 Fiesta Vee, 496 Mag
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin

IMO I would never buy VP. At my yacht club a few members bought brand new  boats with VP and nothing but problems. I am talking about the motors. In the owners manual it says that you need to replace the head gasket every 3 years. Are you kidding me????? I love my Merc 350 mags.

2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2014

Bertgor, I live just down the road from you - I live in Channahon and work in Warrenville. I had a 2003 270 for about a season and a half then got two foot-itis which is why I now have an 08 320. My 03 270 had the Merc 350 mag -  300 hp with the B3 drive (no generator) and it was a very decent Lake Michigan boat. Most often, I would have 4 people and gear when going out and never had any problems with performance. I kept that boat in Diversey Harbor and now slip the 320 in Hammond, Indiana. I'm on my 9th boat, and the 320 is the 7th Rinker I've owned.