2007 280EC Kohler Generator

The Main ExchangeThe Main Exchange Member Posts: 280 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had an error code EC09? We have a 5kW generator on our 280 EC. Wont even attempt to crank and had zero issues before. Any ideas?

2007 300 EC, 350 Mags, B3's, Table Rock Lake, MO

Comments

• HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭

That code is "Throttle position sensor high". How to fix it, no clue.
    "Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • The Main ExchangeThe Main Exchange Member Posts: 280 ✭✭✭

Thanks Hamdog 

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have the operations / parts manual for the genset?  I bet the sensor is on the throttle body and went bad, I believe your genset is a fuel injected model. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI

BD, just got the manuals and checked the fuses, going to pin out the harness from throttle sensor to ECM tomorrow. Yes its fuel injected, the problem is you have to change the entire throttle assembly!

ooo  That sounds like $$.  if you need parts, these guys are good, I've used them in getting my 5e running:

http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcart/generator-parts-kohler-c-14_83.html

PC BYC, Holland, MI

I have caved in and have a Kohler service guy coming out next week. Will post the solution once fixed!

Hi RY, No the service guy is not returning calls, looking for another contractor. This is frustrating. But at least we are still boating!!

edited August 2014

This is getting frustrating as we are planning to anchor our Labor Day weekend. I cant believe that I am calling them on a daily basis and no return calls. I talked to the guy and he sounded like he is good on Kohler generators. I will try again today, but I was also thinking about unbolting it and sliding it forward to double check all the harnesses are connected correctly. It's always the last issue to be fixed takes the longest to fix!! Oopp's I hope I didn't jinx it! BTW, EC09 code has gone away and now I have EC12, leads me to thinking a connector has come off.

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Yes, do a visual on anything you can. Some times you do get lucky. I know other times I end up saying man, why didn't I think of that! I do hear you on not having a generator, I went for a couple weeks two years ago and it's tough going back home to recharge when the fun begins.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Have you called Kohler Marine direct?  They can be a help, or get you to a dealer who can help.  Total Energy Systems in WI might be worth a call and can point you in a direction Toll-Free: 888-548-1400 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Looks like its the throttle position sensor which comes as a complete throttle body. Part on order will let you guys know the outcome. Have a good holiday weekend.

Update, took the unit apart and the circuit board is burnt so confirmed failed part.

Update: New throttle body assembly installed still displays EC12 fault code! Calling the service engineer and will keep you posted.

Genny update. Found harness ground circuit on rear of generator where it connects to the ECM corroded and connecters broken, repaired the harness and still had EC12 fault. Finally I found the connector pins in the throttle body connector spread open from pinning out the harness multiple times. Installed new connector and terminals and now the generator runs! Wow that was a tough one to fix. Life is good!! 

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Wow!  That was definitely a good find!  I'm sure it'll be nice having that one off your mind!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Great find!!!!
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    Thanks guys that was a tough one! Next job is sound enclosures on and get ready for a possible Christmas trip to Victoria, BC.

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate electrical stuff. Diagnosing a problem is like shooting in the dark. Glad you found out what is going in. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

well that's a downer!  Keep us posted...and good luck!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    That's a downer!  Keep us posted.  Did more fry in the controller you think?

PC BYC, Holland, MI