Options

Bravo III lube overflow

jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭

I recently changed the outdrive lube in my 2000 Bravo III, leaving it about a half inch from the top of the reservoir. After running the boat for several days, I checked the fluid level, expecting it to be down after all the air got worked out, but it was overfull. The reservoir was actually bulging, and when I loosened the cap, lube began to push out. I drained some lube from the outdrive, and it was dark blue with no milky color, or water. This was round 8:30am when the temp was still cool. Any ideas what would cause pressure to build in the outdrive?

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

The cap should be venting any pressure. I bet you have trapped air and it had no place to go. Replace the cap or free up the vent in it. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

BD is probably right on that cap. I'd replace it too. It has to be able to release the pressure as the drive oil heats and when the air eventually exchanges from the drive to the tank.

Good luck, Mike

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod

There's a little red rubber piece in the top of those caps (you can see the tip coming out the top, but it is pushed in from underneath).  That may just be clogged up and need cleaned.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

While you clean/replace that cap...if you did not already; I would suggest emptying out the reservoir and clean it out too, the oil can get sludgy in the bottom of it.  Just clean out with carb cleaner or brake cleaner and refill.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭

I cleaned the cap and the carb cleaner ran out the vent hole fine. I think I may have overfilled it expecting it to go down. Maybe air and carb cleaner can go through the vent hole, but not the thicker gear lube. Thanks for the help.