Removing original GPS

I have a 2006 Rinker Fiesta Vee and the original GPS died.  I bought a replacement.  How do I remove the old one on the dashboard?  There are no screws or access points that I can see.  Is it a matter of just prying it off?  Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

x

Post edited by Michael T on
  • AvgboatingguyAvgboatingguy Member Posts: 5

Michael T thank you.

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

AVG - look up the owners manual online and see how it is flush mounted. Probably it is as MT explains, but it's better to not make a mistake and do some homework first.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭

depending on model pull the cup holder out and you can reach the nuts behind the gps.

• AvgboatingguyAvgboatingguy Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2014

Thank you for all the advice.

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, definitely take off the dashboard panel and have a look around before you start to pry.  Actually, that's a good thing for any boat owner to do, especially if the boat had previous owners.  You might be surprised what you find tucked away in there.

• youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭

surprised or in my case, SCARED. it looks like Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder did the wiring on my boat
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014

Rest assured that every mass produced production boat is wired with equal attn to detail behind the proverbial glossy cover. While it isn't pretty, it's certified, it works and out it goes. I've spent more than a few hours behind the scenes in every accessible nook and cranny tie wrapping and doing strain relief on cable/controls/wiring of our 270 w/o any real shocking surprises. Didn't need to, just did it to know what I have.

The boats are a great price point and most of us can't afford the price of an aircraft grade quality custom built boat. Rinker isn't infallible but they're certainly known for being a great value with few problems and lots of bell/whistles. We're very happy with ours and still feel it's been the best decision we could have made.

PS. Kudos to Rinker for hosting this site even when they take a little criticism(mostly very benign). Most mfgs would jerk the plug at the first hint of grumbling. It shows professionalism and understanding in the give and take of todays consumer access to the net and their opinions. Just sayin', Mike 

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
    edited November 2014

x

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin

I gutta tell you I am not big on to many tie wraps. I have seen them cut through wire and most people use a lines man pliers to cut them and leave razor sharp edges.  I like to pinch and twist with the lines man pliers. But the main reason I do not like wire ties is if you make a "bundle" it causes heat and heat breaks down the insulation and then you end up with bigger problems. Just my 2 cents.....

2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    edited November 2014

x

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod

Lacing cord works better than wire ties. No sharp edges.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

edited November 2014

x