Options

Under cockpit drain is clogged

MiamiAGMiamiAG Member Posts: 210 ✭✭

The EC 290 has a drain behind/ under the cockpit. If water goes into the step down in front of the cabin door, it should drain out via this drain in the floor on the starboard side. It's located behind the cockpit way out of arms reach.

Mine seems to be clogged. Any ideas or experience in how to unclogged it?

Thanks in advance.

Art

2013 290 ec - Volvo Penta D4/DP

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you blow some air through the line?

2008 330EC
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Art, you are talking about the drain behind the helm right?  I would do a couple of things, can you make a wire piece to try and open up the clog? If it's something big, I wouldn't want to force it any further into the opening, so I'm thinking a small hooked end, so you can pull things out.

The other thing is to support a hose on a long stick, or if you have a power wash head that can reach there to flush it out.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2014

I would try the wire coat hanger ( if you can still find one ) before using air or water pressure. I believe the drain hoses are attached at each end with clamps, and would suck if the pressure blew it off. Accessing it may be a ****. 

Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    billt427billt427 Member Posts: 3
    This response is a little late but.....
    I had this problem a couple years ago on my 312 fv. If my memory is correct, the access to the drain was behind the toilet paper holder in the head under the sink. I am unaware of the layout of the 290, but if the head is on the right next to the stairs, that's where to look. As the others suggested, a coat hanger and a bamboo skewer did the trick.