Options

Battery Switch

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you guys run with the switch on both, 1 or 2? My boat has an isolator, I'm new to battery isolators and not sure what I should keep the switch on.

2008 330EC

Comments

• Options

I normally will start and run on 1 then switch over to 2 when anchored. Do I have to play with the switch or can I leave it on both?

2008 330EC
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014

Chapmans....... :D

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Here is a pic of how the battery's are set up. You can see the isolator on the wall to the left and the two red power wires that go up to the switch. (This pic is when I first got the boat,everything is much cleaner now) 

2008 330EC
  • Options
    TikiHut2 said:

Chapmans....... :D

I didn't get to that chapter yet! LoL

2008 330EC
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭

I am pretty sure it will charge BOTH batteries regardless of where the switch is at.

My switch looks like this, and the only time I ever put it to combine is if I ran the starting battery down and needed the house battery to start the engine.  And vice versa if I ran the house battery down and needed to use the starting battery for a 12V function like the GPS.

httpwwwmoererdeimagesproduct_imagespopup_imagesBS7650jpg

2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options

This is what mine looks like but black ( I don't think color makes a difference)

2008 330EC
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aero, you have a crank and a house battery right?  I suspect your switch determines which battery runs the engine.  Can you take off the cable to battery 1 and put the switch on 1 to see what happens. Same with battery 2 - does the engine turnover, do you have power to your house circuit?  The only real way to know how it is wired, is by testing it.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options

I have 2 dual purpose batteries. When I get some time ill try and test like you said.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Aero, you have a crank and a house battery right?  I suspect your switch determines which battery runs the engine.  Can you take off the cable to battery 1 and put the switch on 1 to see what happens. Same with battery 2 - does the engine turnover, do you have power to your house circuit?  The only real way to know how it is wired, is by testing it.

This is a really good idea as my old 242 was wired so both batteries work for starting and house. There was no isolation regardless of switch position didn't  find that out until I ran both dead at the same time. 

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Start/Run on one, anchor on two. Both should charge in any position. Do not anchor with both "on" or you risk running both down below starting capability. You only need to combine both if both have been run down to where neither will start your engine independently - this is called the Hail Mary setting. MT

• Options
    rdk25rdk25 Member Posts: 9

with the isolated set up .. And a battery seletor. I start and run have the season one one battery then the other half on the other. What ever battery is being used should both start and run the house. If you run it dead flip switch to the other battery to start the boat. Use both as a last resort.  Start up is **** batteries, that's why I alternate. Some people alternative every other trip out. If you slip your boat turn it to all off makes it a little harder to steal it.

• Options
    rdk25rdk25 Member Posts: 9

btw the belge pumps should be fused but wired directly to one battery. If you get in a boat taking on water start boat. And turn on both batteries.

• Options
    chasfergchasferg Member Posts: 5

I use # 1 for cranking and # 2 for house etc..  I turn it to both if just cruising to charge both at the same time.  Not sure how I came to that conclusion.... maybe dreamed it or something!

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have also asked these questions and chas, both batteries will charge no matter which is on.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and the number one rule is not to switch batteries while the motor is running....