Windlass Horizon 600

yetiyeti Member Posts: 59 ✭✭

OK so my windlass will lower, and it will function to raise the anchor, as long as it isn't under load ( I removed the left cover and pulled the reduction gear and the motor spins as intended).   Re-assemble and hang anchor and solenoid clicks, but doesn't raise anchor.  Will raise anchor some weekends.  ive tightened and loosened the clutch nut several times,  no effect.  What gives???

Comments

• WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

There is a gear on the end of the motor, it moves back and forth depending on the direction, I think the call it gear 13 or 10.  Sometimes it sticks and will only allow it to engage down and not up, resulting in just a click of the soleniod.

Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

Or the motor could be on it's way out.....that's what happened to me.

No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • yetiyeti Member Posts: 59 ✭✭

DanD2 - you replaced motor and all was well?  cost of motor?  looks easy from what I can see

Not yet, just took the windlass off today, going to bring it to a local motor shop to see if it can be repaired. From what I can see, a new one is close to $300 and VERY hard to find.

It can be removed without taking the windlass off but I think it's much easier when you have the windlass on your bench.

If it cannot be rebuilt, I'll go the manual route for the rest of the season and put a new one in next year.

• gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭

Call Lewmar and talk to tech support.  They have a refurb program.  post back if you find out how much.  I spoke to them a couple years ago about it, but never did it, so I forgot now.  I ended up replacing mine.  I was going to have my spare one refurbished as a working spare.

Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie

Lewmar says parts no longer available for the Horizon 600.  They suggest it could be stripped compound gear (not on mine)  could be motor, could be low batteries.  They weren't vey helpful really.  They want $580 plus tax and shipping for a new ProSeries 700 and that price requires you to ship back the old one.
  • WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

I bought mine from boatbandit.com it was $720 exact replacement installed for the Horizon 600 windlass and came with everything to update the switch to a relay setup.  Total install took about an hour.

Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭

Hmmm, well that sucks about not being able to refub.  I should've done it back when I could have.  Fingers crossed now.

Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie

I've got my motor at a local shop that rebuilds starters, alternators etc, hopefully they can fix it....if not, manual mode for the rest of the year...LOL

Local shop says that nothing is wrong with the motor. They took it apart and it looked fine. Put it back together and said that it works every time they put power to it. So I took it home and it still acts up. When I connect to a battery, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, if I tap the motor, it'll start. While it's running if I wiggle the wires where they go into the motor, it'll sometimes slow down. That tells me that its not something major. There's a guy near my marina that works on these so I'll take it there this weekend.

On another note, Lewmar finally got back to me (3 weeks later) and as Yeti stated, all parts for that windlass are obsolete. Trade in program is now $520 plus tax and shipping for a ProSeries 700. Return of old windlass is on them. The ProSeries 700 has the same bolt pattern as the Horizon 600. You have to drill new holes for the power feeds and the old power feed holes are covered by the new windlass.

I think it's a great price for a new windlass, but he told me that he was pretty sure this deal was good only until Labor Day. Not sure I believe that but I'll try to fix mine first. If that doesn't work then I'll see if I can trade in.

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

sounds like a wiring or a commutator/brush issue.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI

sounds like a wiring or a commutator/brush issue.

Yeah, a lot better than an armature or bearing issue.

RY, I didn't ask him. He did tell me that they've had a lot of requests from folks with the old horizon's.....maybe they are collecting parts to refurb????????

edited October 2014

Well I don't know what the heck the first guy was doing but certainly won't bring anything back to him. Guy near my marina replaced the brushes and the thing works like a charm. Will be installing it on the boat sometime's this week.

All the gears on the inside look really good so I think I'll stick with this for now. If I have extra money in the spring, I might call Lewmar and see if the offer still holds.

Post edited by DanD2 on
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brushes :)  always a good start with a dc motor. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI

Wound up rebuilding the motor locally for $110.  Works great.

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that was going to be my suggestion...had my starter completely rebuilt for 130 bucks...it's just a motor!