Fuel Tank pick up tube

WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

Has anyone every had to replace the pick up tube on their Rinker?

I have a problem with my fuel delivery from my port tank, both engines run perfect off the starboard fuel tank, and both are starved from the port.

I thought it was the anti-siphon valve, but there is not one installed.  When I removed it, there is no check valve in the fitting.  I can get some fuel out of but very little.  I have blew through it to make sure there was nothing on the screen, and I was able to siphon gas out of it manually, but very little flow.

Tank is full, vent is clear, and valves are open.

Side note, last year the genny was starving for gas from its pick up tube out of the same tank, I plugged it and attached it to the fuel line for the engine, and it ran fine.  This year it is starving for fuel as well, runs fine off a portable tank.

I know for sure it is not a mechanical problem with the engine or fuel pump, as it runs perfect on the starboard tank.  The hole shot is great, gets on plane with no problems, and runs at 38 mph cruising.

We have been using it every weekend running off the one tank with no issues, the only time I have an issue is when I go back to trying to run it on the port tank.  The port tank is full with fresh gas, filled from the same place the starboard tanks was.

I have been in contact with Rinker and they are trying to find the pick up tube, they are very helpful but not having much luck finding the part or a price for it.  I have found a guy that sells them on ebay, but he doesn't know what models they fit, and only has the length measurements.  His appears to have brass to aluminium, which mine is all aluminium.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RINKER-12-1-4-INCH-ALUMINUM-BRASS-MARINE-BOAT-FUEL-TANK-PICKUP-SUMP-TUBE-/141274124190

So, has anyone had this issue or had to replace the pick up tube before?  If so, where did you get it from?

Sin or Swim - Rinker 312

Comments

• 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

out of curiosity, why don't you just pull and service the existing one? ....there isn't much to them.... you could even rebuild the existing tube from hardware store parts... chances are it just needs a bath, anyway. 

• WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

I started to pull it out, but need a crow's foot wrench to get the whole pickup tube out.  I also don't have a lot of time, so when we get to the boat we want to use it, and with the other tank allowing it to operate it makes it easy to just go out on the water.  

Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • tkrfxrtkrfxr Member Posts: 55 ✭✭

I also found out there are no anti-siphon valves on the fuel tanks...

The pick up tubes can be removed and serviced (cleaned) but require a monkey or enlarging the access holes...

If you need replacements, read off the tank model numbers and get the parts from the manufacturer, Florida Marine Tanks, in my case.  The should be ALUMINUM if the tank is aluminum...don't mix metals....

"All things are ready if our minds be so"
    -W.Shakespeare/Henry V Rinker 2005 342FV T5.7OSXi-DF/OceanX(DPS-B)