Why visiting a weather bouy is a bad idea..at night, in the fog

Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
PC BYC, Holland, MI

Comments

• Options
    midwestemidweste Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    edited July 2014

Yikes!! At least no one was injured or killed. That could have ended very badly. 

2000 180 Bowrider, 135hp 3.0L Merc, 2.00 Alpha One Gen 2 OD, 14.5 x 19P prop

Regular weekender, trailer stored indoors, Southern Ohio  

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

ouch. We're they aiming for it. Lol. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options

Word was he was looking for it, put in the GPS info and didn't think it 'was that close'.  lol  Here's a more likely thought: 10 miles south was Venetian Festival night...10 miles north is Coast Guard Festival just starting: both have a lot of beverages and boaters.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have windows 7 which this forum doesn't like :-(  IF I can find a way to post it I will post a picture of a new Sea Ray (looks like a 400 or bigger) that has run up onto a rocky shoal about a mile from my marina. It looks like the front hull is gone as the water is almost to the windshield and you can see it is sitting right on the shoal - the BIG (4 foot foot tall) shoal marker is resting on the port side of the boat about where the cockpit windows begin. THAT will be a hard one to explain to the insurance company - btw - there was  a 4 foot 360 degree "spinner" radar array on the hard top. Stay tuned. MT

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin

download chrome it works great......

2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options

Can't load chrome on my work pc :P 

A big problem is often people put in GPS waypoints and forget the GPS just draws a straight line regardless of what is inbetween.  Add in fog..not using radar..beverages..  Happens a lot for pier heads putting a waypoint inbetween and not outside it: whammo.  people die from those crashes :(

PC BYC, Holland, MI