Options

NMEA 2000 Fuel level and flow

Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am pondering adding a NMEA 2000 fuel flow monitor and tank gauge to my Lowrance 5200C. The question I have is it worth the $$ spent to do this minor upgrade to get better fuel information or should I consider a SC1000 system? The SC1000 system will give me more information than the fuel flow and tank gauge, but it cost more. Is it worth it for a boat that is used 6 months out of a year? My biggest concern right now is how much fuel am I burning and I would like more accurate fuel level information. The Lowrance can do what I want with fuel burn. I know Tiki did a similar project late last year.

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
Go Steelers!!!

Comments

• Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

I'm going to add the fuel flow monitor to my Lowrance system next year. The SC1000 is nice but too much money for my needs.

No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

My last 3 boats I added fuel flow monitoring and will tell you I would never have another boat without it. On my current boat (2008 320), I added the Lowrance EP 60 R and the NMEA 2000 backbone for both engines and they are very accurate.  Previous boats I used the Navman  2100 equipment and was very happy with the way the Navman equipment worked as well. I have since added the Mercury NMEA gateway and use both the Lowrance and mercury fuel flow monitoring in tandem so that I have a backup if one or the other fails. You can add the Mercury NMEA gateway to a single engine for about $500 and get all kinds of engine data.

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will the gateway information show up on my Lowrance 5200c? I am pretty much sold on the EP60r for fuel flow monitoring. I like that I can plug numbers into my 5200c and it keeps track of everything.

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did the same thing Frodo described above. I first went with a NEMA backbone tied to my garmin CP and a fuel flow sensor at about $250 all up. I then found a really simple Smartcraft Gauge that gives me far more info straight from the engine computer for about $250. 

((LINK TO INSTALL THREAD))  Scroll down to my solution posted sometime around Feb 10th.

If I would do it again I probably wouldn't bother with the CP setup, but the redundancy is kinda nice. Mike

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl