Horn only blows occassionally

Has anyone ever repaired a horn with replacement parts?  I have an Ongaro single trumpet.  The entire horn assembly isn't that expensive, but I do believe it requires me to disassemble the interior of the cabin to get to the wiring on my 2005 342FV, and that's a PITA.

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might not be as much as a PITA as you think.  I did mine on the 370 and it was easy.  Pop off 4-5 screw caps, remove the screws, bend down the panel to get access to the horn.  

After looking at my horn, I abandoned any hope of repairing it.

• yetiyeti Member Posts: 59 ✭✭

Thanks LaRea - Yours is located on the starboard side just forward of the radio also?
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

Well, there is an easy fix for the horn, but it may only last a short time before you have to do it again.  I just did mine again this past weekend.  You basically remove the 6 or so screws at the back of the trumpet (you will want a towel or something under it just to catch anything you may drop).  There is also a screw behind the ongaro sticker on the back of the horn that needs removed (remove this first, cause 3 of the 6 screws have nuts on the back inside).  Once inside, you will see a small set of contacts (make note of the one piece that comes out, cause it should go back in just the same, also the two gaskets as well).  Get a small/fine piece of sandpaper, fold it in half (so it can sand on both sides) and pull it thru the contacts a few times.  Make sure you blow any reminents out and everything looks clean.  Put it back together and it'll work perfectly!  This is my second time this year I've had to do it, but if I bought new, I'd have to do it again sooner or later anyhow.  Let us know how it works out.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.  Just make sure your tools are nice and clean before you start trying to take off the screw caps.  For a few bucks, you can get a door trim removal tool at any auto parts store that makes it easier.  

• frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

When mine stopped working, I took the back of it apart, and sure enough, there was corrosion inside the removable back. You have to remove the sticker from the back plate and under that is a Phillips head screw and the back will come off fairly easily. Be very careful when removing the back plate as there are parts that may fall out - there is a piston that moves back and forth (more like a solenoid type device) that rapidly vibrates which in turn vibrates a metal back plate which in turn makes the noise. I found that the piston was basically corroded in place, so I removed it, used some fine grit sandpaper and cleaned the piston and bore and added WD-40, put it back together and when I re-installed the back plate, I added some sealant to the outer edges and the horn has worked great since. I did not have to remove the horn to do this. Good luck! By the way, the Ongaro horns have a 5 year warranty http://schmittongaromarine.com/products/stainless_marine_horns

• rwirerwire Member Posts: 12 ✭✭

I repaired mine the same way two seasons ago. Sand paper and WD-40. Still working

• yetiyeti Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    Great advise - WD 40 and 10 minutes work and all is well.
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one has to be filed in the archives - for future reference, good info here.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• explore7425explore7425 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    Just get a new one and use heat shrink but connectors. No sweat. 
    Bella Sabrina II  370EC