Options

Engine hatch weight?

I have a 93' captiva 236 and need to figure out the weight of the sunpad/engine hatch. The lifting actuator is really slow and i will be replacing it. Do you guys think 200lbs of thrust is overkill? 

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭

Funny you mention this.  I have been wondering if would be possible to get an actuator for our 342 to open the hatch more than it does now.  It's a little snug with the hatch open.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Chrisvr6Chrisvr6 Member Posts: 166 ✭✭
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014

I recently removed my rear hatch on our 270 to do an engine pull and used a chain hoist. It's a beast. I'd guess 100-140lbs. A 342 hatch would probably be in the 200lbs range.

I keep a pole (IE, stout hickory ax handle) in the engine compartment to use in the rare occasion that I need more space. Just brace the lid, pull the upper actuator pin and carefully push up/open the lid until it's all you can get and re-prop. Use two guys if you're prone to calamity (those guys know who they are). It'll give you plenty of space to turn a wrench.

Can't help too much on the replacement actuator to do the job.

Hope that helps, Mike

Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options

I just might have to get a bathroom scale and let the hatch close on it to get an accurate weight. 

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

Total hatch weight vs actuator strength are two different birds. I would pretty much stick by my estimates of total unmounted hatch dead weight. The amount of weight the actuator bears is probably about 50% of the mounted/hinged wt that it's actually lifting. 

If I was ocd I'd simply put a scale in the bilge near the lower actuator pin and cut a rod to the height of a support when the lid is nearly closed. Can't fit in the bilge with the lid down? Just leave your cell phone vid running while it's pointed at the scale and test close the lid, then review the vid. Inquiring minds will want to know so post your results.

That'll get you a pretty close idea of what your new actuator will need as a starting point. I'd add at least a 30% addl fudge factor just in case the rating is a little exaggerated or wanes with time.

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options

I was going to disconnect the existing actuator and put the scale between my hands and sunpad and simply push on it. Scale facing me of course. 

• Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭

I disconnected the hatch on my 276, and its pretty large as it has a full size sunpad and two bins molded in. I had to get help to lift it when it was all the way down, and if I were to guess it probably weighs in the mid 100's.

2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod

Unfortunatley I've to open mine twice in the last year and I can say it takes 4 men to lift it.  I can only imagine the actual weight is.  As far as on a 342, I've helped many a times disconnecting the lift and tie a line to the prop rod on the hatch to the rail on the seat in front of it, along with another one on the swim platform side to keep it from going the other way.  Works very well. 

whatever one you buy, make sure it is appropriate for the bilge environment.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express