Options

Rusted leaking steering pin/swivel shaft pictures

I managed to sneak my iphone behind the engine to get some good pictures of the steering pin leak.  I will be replacing the swivel shaft in the offseason with the JR kit.  The transom assembly doesn't seem to bad, hopefully.  The port side pin/swivel shaft is ok so far.  Anyway thought this might be useful/interesting to others.  This is on a 2005 Bravo 3.

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you using the template to cut through the Gimbal or pulling the engine?  I'm sure this is an eventual for everyone.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the dreaded tiller pin seal failure for sure. I'll be following your progress for personal reasons.

I just had our engine out and the drive off. Would've been a perfect time to do mine but I just couldn't bring myself to tackle it even then. 

Thanks for posting pics and may the project go smoothly. Mike

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭

Looks like mine use too ... on my third season with JR marine ... Still dry.

• Options

PM, Remind us where you posted the details on your fix.

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

BD - Yes I'm doing the JR Marine cutout option that uses the stainless cover.  I'm going with the stainless pin too, instead of the rust away carbon steel pin Merc uses.  What a bad design....
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Scary PM.  There are lots of us out there with this issue.  My mechanic wanted to pull the engine and replace the whole transom assembly because it leaves know unknowns.  If my transom assembly looked shot or money grew on trees I would agree with him.  He swore off ever tackling the Merc approved plug fix.  He said that method is an absolute nightmare....
  • Options
    PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭

the hardest part is getting the nut off the steering arm. You will need a new arm and a new gimbal ring. I replaced my boots while I had them off. Not a hard job just took my time. I'm local to JR Marine so I was able to go to his store and get some helpful advice. Anyone buying a used boat with a bravo III better make sure this repair has been done or you'll be doing it. 

• Options
    rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭

FYI, I had to do the JR marine fix on both sides.  Even if you are only having problems with one side, I would go ahead and do the other side at the same time, just my opinion.  I also added an external tie bar between the two drives.  It all went pretty well on both my drives.  The biggest issue that I ran into was that the nut was all rusted up on one of my pins and I could not get it off.  I ended up having to cut the pin with a sawsall on the top, and then in between the transom assembly and gimbal ring.  it was a major PIA, but aside from that the fix went very well.  My arm and gimbal ring were actually in fine shape, so I didn't need to get new ones.  I had some play in my steering, but it was because the arm was not tightened down properly to the pin.  Also, if you do need new gimbal rings, JR marine can repair your existing ones alot cheaper than buying new ones.  that was the route that I planned on going before I got them out and realized that they were fine.  Good luck.

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

• Options

Great stuff thanks for the details for those who are still looking at this project.

• Options
    rwirerwire Member Posts: 12 ✭✭

Mine looked worse than that. I didn't want to mess with it so I'm having the transom assembly replaced. Of course that rolled into sea water pump, circ pump, starter, coupler, risers, manifolds and whatever else that would be hard to reach.

Obviously I had other issues. Waiting to get that bill.

• Options

Yikes, that's the whole Monte. My guestimate would be about $7500 at a shop with an ATM in the waiting room. Good luck

• Options
    rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭

Just wondering why you would replace the entire transom assembly?  That's a lot of work to be done.  Hope it all works out for you. 

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

• Options
    rwirerwire Member Posts: 12 ✭✭

Thanks, Just put her back in the water last night. My mechanic did a great job. Pretty close to that $$$. It was leaking so bad that if she had a little weight in the stern you could watch the water drip in from the the pin. Made a mess. 

• Options

Sounds like you salvaged the rest of the season and added to the boats value if/when you sell. There's certainly a lot less to worry about after all that work. Have a great season. Mike