Options

stability in Lake Erie waves

Considering selling our 260rd and buying a 276cc for several reasons but mostly for more stable feeling in Lake Erie chop. Any comments would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beam means everything for stability. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭

if you are planning to move up.  At least get to 30 feet as you'll pick up beam for stability.

• Options
    jollyrodgersjollyrodgers Member Posts: 12

Thank you. The 276 does have a wider beam and sits lower on the water. The 260 is more sensitive to the wind bc of the tall cabin. Just wondered what 276 owners thought.

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    My vote is for a 342 also. Great boat.....

2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

The 276 is going to move around almost as much as your 260. Your only gonna gain about 7 inches of beam. For a noticeable difference I would suggest 10 beam or bigger providing you aren't worried about trailering. 

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I do have to say our 342 was not as bad in 6 footers in Lake Huron as our 280.  2 foot of beam and 4,000 lbs more weight make a difference.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭

I havent been in anything more than 3 footers on lake st clair, so I cant really say how it'd do in the more spaced out waves of Erie. I will say it isnt a heavy boat, so it will pound a bit unless you keep the bow very level and plow through the waves.

I would guess the center of gravity on a 276 is much lower than a 260, so at anchor it will likely rock quite a bit less. And a beam sea would maybe be more comfortable.

Either way the 260 and 276 are not massive, so neither are going to be very comfortable in any serious chop or waves unless you plow along.

2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options

I'm sure Lk. Erie can get similar to Lk. Michigan when whipped up: short and steep waves.  More beam and weight help a lot.  I've done 8'+ in my 342 (not fun and not intentionally).  2-4' and trimmed correctly I can cruise along, although it can get bumpy :) 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭

I've been on the Jet Express (100 foot Catamran that does 40mph) on Lake Erie and it was getting its a$$ kicked. Nothing but sky-water-sky-water the entire ride. I cant imagine in a recreational boat......

2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options

@joe: I did the Lake Express which is a similar boat I think (Milwaukee to Muskegon) a few years ago, 10-15' waves (note they no longer run if 10'+)..sunny and hot, just windy.  3+ hours of that boat being hammered, water over the top, had to hold on to move at all.  I think 98% of the passengers were barfing the whole time.  Myself and a few others sat in the back and had beers.  lol

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options

I've done 4 to 5 in a 242FV  and 6 footers in my 290FV all on Lake Erie weight beam and trim all make a big difference 

• Options

We sea trailed ours on Lake Erie out of pot Clinton in 4 footers in the rain on purpose. Told the dealer if the admiral didn't feel good about the ride deal was off and we would have to look for a bigger boat. Maybe you could try and set something like that up, really it's up to you and the crew on what is to much movement / sway. Good luck

• Options
    MIKES342MIKES342 Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭

I had a 342 at Lake erie before dowsizing to a 260.  The 342 is an excellent boat for Lake Erie.  We were docked at Bay point and also Cedar Point Marina.  I really miss my 342 but the two hour drive was getting to me at my age 67 and the 260 is fine as I can get to the marina around here in about 10 minutes and go boating every night if I desire to.  Anyway find a good used 342 you won't be disappointed
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Hi Mike and Jollyrodgers,

The 342 is a great performer in our experience.  Excellent sea boat.  If Rinker still made the 342 (as well as the 270) they would still sell.  When we were at Put-in-Bay, we looked at every 342 we saw hoping one of them would be "JAMMS".  This was in 2010.

Tony
    Salt Shaker 342