Options

Power loss

I was driving my 270 when I all of a sudden had power loss. I went to neutral for 10 seconds and then started to drive again. What could of caused this? Engine was serviced this spring . Boat drove good the rest of the day after this happened

Comments

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭

odd... check the red battery cable to the starter.  If it's loose it will stall the engine.  Been there done that.  If not then fuel filter?

• Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭

Hey Les.  Power?  Voltage/gauges all gone?  Stalled engine while running?  Does the 270 have a drivers kill switch lanyard?  I had one lose connection on my last boat, but my 290 does not have one.  

Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    lesles Member Posts: 24

The weird thing is it was happening as I was adjusting trim on throttle as I was driving. I came to as stop and put boat in neutral shut motor off and then started out again. I had filters check out this spring so I will try again this weekend and see if it happens again. 
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    Hi Les.  The 270 has the drivers lanyard.  If everything went dead, engine and electronics, I bet you bumped it just right, or it has corrosion.  Pull the thing off while going slow and see if it replicates what happened last week to you.  

Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    trickyrickytrickyricky Member Posts: 28 ✭✭

Have your alternator checked.  It happened to me this summer.  I was cruising across the lake and all of a sudden it started losing power and died.  I was told you need 70amps of power to run a 496 and that is without all of your other accessories.  If your generator is running it can mask the issue because it will be charging your batteries at the same time the alternator.

Don't wait until you have to replace your batteries and your starter.  You can ruin your starter by having low voltage.

2004 270 Fiesta Vee, 496 Mag
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2014

les...  it's the red cable to the starter!  Same exact issue I had.  Very random like a gremlin.  Hit the trim and 50% of the time it kills the engine for a split second. The trim power connects to a 50 amp braker on the back of the engine.  Then connects to the starter.  The cable is loose on the starter and when you hit the trim it pulls power away from the engine. Thus killing power or a split second.  Tighten the bolt on the starter so the cable is firmly connected and your problem will go away!