Options

INTERMITTENT START WHEN TURNING KEY

RussRussRussRuss Member Posts: 28

Sometime when I turn key to start, I get nothing.  First click of key turn always spins up fuel pump, but when I go to start nothing.  Multiple turns always eventually starts it (so far) and it runs like a champ.  It did it intermittently before I had the motor out, and I checked all the connections and grounds when I dropped it back in.  Batts are good, one is new.

I saw on another post the breaker on top of the motor can be a culprit.  I checked the connections there and they looked solid.  Does anyone know what that breaker is even for - starting circuit I guess.

Next step is to start swapping parts :-( $$$$$

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's the solenoid right where that breaker is, that's the culprit. $20 part and 10 minutes. Not an uncommon problem. I

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Ignition switch might be the problem had one go bad on me before did same thing you are talking about

• Options
    JohnDiStefanoJohnDiStefano Member Posts: 18 ✭✭

I was going to say the ignition harness as well.  had that problem last season.  EZ to trouble shoot if twin eng boat. swap ignition harnesses if the other engine exhibits similar problems  and the original engine starts up, there is you issue.

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

BD hit this one right on the head imho. Been there too. Slave solenoid is on a Merc engine right on top of the manifold,  Luckily! Super easy and an enormous relief to have an easy and pretty painle$$ boat fix. Same solenoid on the trim pumps. Keep a spare or they can be jumpered if you're in a bind.

Mike

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭

I had same problem thought it was neutral safety switch because a jiggle of the throttle usually got it going. Turned out to just be simple starter solenoid. Try it first easy and cheap then go from there

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

• Options
    RussRussRussRuss Member Posts: 28

Good call gang!!!!!!  After a day of fun and sun yesterday it would not start no matter how may times I turned the key.  I turned the key on and jumped across the solenoid terminals with a wrench and away she went.  Could be the easiest/cheapest boat repair of all time, but I better wait until I change it to say that :-)

Thanks a ton for the advice.

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy a spare..or two. Same solenoid runs your trim pumps (2 per pump). 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    qwikwhipqwikwhip Member Posts: 63 ✭✭

Mine did the same thing this spring. I thought for sure it was the slave solenoid so I replaced it. Same problem. Turned out to be corrosion in the main harness plug at the back of the motor. Just one more thing to check if the solenoid doesn't solve the problem.

2005 Captiva 232 Liberty Edition, MX6.2/B3, Corsa
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, having the same issue also......