Options

Boating safety

Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

A sad reminder of the captians responsibilities, 'accidents' like this are 100% preventable yet they happen all the time.  Poor boating knowledge/skills is an accident waiting to happen.  Just a reminder for all of us.

http://news.yahoo.com/teen-killed-boat-propeller-while-tubing-long-island-120854047.html

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
PC BYC, Holland, MI

Comments

• Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭

Really sad, should not of happened. Very sad.

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭

Very sad, especially since they were so young.

We just had a double fatality when a 25-30' Baha went airborne after hitting successive wakes and launched itself into the flybridge of a mid 30 foot cruiser. It knocked the fricking bridge right off the boat. :o

httpcmsimgdetnewscomappspbcsidllbildeSiteC3Date20140804CategoryMETRO06ArtNo308040035RefARMaxW640Border0Speed-alcohol-may-factors-boat-crash-fatalities

2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin

Unreal and very sad. 

2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Wow. That's crazy. His 10 year life plan just got revised. Going to be a great boating weekend here, play safe everyone!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

There is stupid and then there is real stupid, isn't there!
  • Options
    summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭

is the baja tied up to the police boat the offender?  hard to believe it is floating after destroying that flybridge.

• Options

News said it went right over/through the top of the cruiser.  No one hurt on the baja (go figure) 2 dead on the cruiser :( others hurt.  Got the Baja driver and occupant on DUI.  Bet you can buy that Baja cheap about now.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certainly a sad reminder to be vigilant even when we're trying to relax. It's almost impossible to run from a 60mph missile with an idiot or a drunk(God forbid both) at the helm. It doesn't need to be a 30' baja considering the new breed of PWC easily pushing those speeds right off the showroom floor these days. More and more yahoos simply slide their CC and hit the gas. 

Amazingly irresponsible situations happen every day on the water. 
    Be vigilant and avoid congested areas on the weekend if at all possible. 

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

I will go out of my way and burn more fuel just to stay away from crowds and situations that could turn ugly. If I have to leave early or later to avoid problems so be it. Be safe everyone and remember most of the time it's the other guy you must watch out for

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options

They are trying to figure out right-of-way yet...I think the cruiser shows the answer.  Lk. St. Clair can be crazy on weekends..and that was 15+ years ago last time I was out there. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    checkmatecheckmate Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

I've been taking boat trips up in that area for the last 4 years.   So much boat traffic and idiots not knowing how to drive a boat(not everyone). But   We stopped going up their on weekends and now boat in that area only during the week.  

• Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, it has been very very busy on Lake St Clair this summer. Better economy and shortened season due to long harsh winter I think has people out more.

Its always amazing to circle the lake on a saturday afternoon and see hundreds and hundreds of boats at multiple popular anchoring spots, and thats only a small corner of the lake!

2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    edited August 2014

IMO people can be total jack a$$e$ on the water. At my yacht club all day long boaters just wake the **** out of us. Also dont get me started on jet ski's. Those freaking things should be outlawed. I know a lot of people are going to chime in on that comment but most people are out of control on those rockets. Like anything follow the rules and things will be so much better. That's my story and I am sticking to it..... 

2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭

While I don't think PWC's should be outlawed, when I see one jumping my wake with children on the back, and another boat right behind me, I think you should need a license to be a parent, as well to operate watercraft.

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014

A licensed parent.....? The stupid stuff some bumpkin parents do, you just want to smack somebody. A bureau of parental ability...... a great sci-fi script but we'd be doomed as a species. :D 

PWC licensing is a viable answer to a very real problem but finding a test for common sense in a teenage boy when he's sure that all the girls are watching his unmatchable PWC wide-open-throttle talents will always be an unobtainable requirement. 

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

100% agreement....and if you had to get a licence to be a parent -THAT would take care of population overcrowding on the waterways, beaches and the roadways!!!LOL :-) MT