Options

Which boat? '95 Rinker 236 CC vs. '96 Rinker 232 CC

Hello all.  Soon to be lst time boat owner.  I'm looking hard at the Rinker line, mid 90's, 232/236 series.

My research tells me these are great all around boats.

I'm looking specifically at a '96 232 Captiva Cuddy with a 502 MPI, 300 hrs, 4 blade stainless, Bravo 1, anchors, ropes, vests.  In above average condition w/Eagle tandem trailer - $10k.

And a '95 236 Captiva cuddy with 454 MPI, basically same hours, condition and accessories. $10.5k.

I've read that the 232 actually has more room than the 236?  A deeper hull perhaps?

Pros/cons of the two boats?  What would yas prefer if it were you?

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    motoracerxmotoracerx Member Posts: 8

I do have the links, but somebody may try to steal the boats from under me. lol
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

I owned a 232 and loved it. It was a great boat. I ran it hard for 13 seasons and I was sad to see it go. With the big block, it is a fast boat. According to Al, the 236 was one of the fastest hulls that Rinker ever produced. He has been around their boats for a very long time, so I trust his judgement. The 232 does have a bigger cabin than the 236. I believe it is a little taller. Good luck with your decision and welcome aboard!

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options

Thanks for the input....so which boat would yas buy?  Is the 502 in the 232 worth having over the 454 in the 236?
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be a toss up... Personally I would go for the 232 because of the bigger cabin. If I didn't care about cabin size and wanted speed, then I would get the 236.

Take them both for a ride and see what fits your style.

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options

And of course I just came across a minty, one owner '93 236 with the 502 MPI, claiming 70+ mph.  $14.5k for that boat.

Cableguy - I'm not necessarily concerned about all out speed.  I come from a 20 yr. motorcycle roadracing background.  Hence the desire for the boat...to enjoy a less risky, performance motorsports activity.  So I'm looking at the 232 a bit more.  Although the seller of that boat isn't communicating very well at the time.

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

70mph on the water is fast...scary fast.  Best bet is take them both for a ride as noted above.  That's where reality sets in :)  Good luck!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options

RIght on Black_.  50 is plenty fast enough for me on the water.  

I'm used to racing at 180+ on 2 wheels and taking turns well over 100 while rubbing elbows. 

And there will be no big water for me.  A lazy river here and there, and some man made lakes....with winds less than 10mph. lol.

I don't see me testing these boats at all.  I'm **** bent on buying one by this time tomorrow.  Going to Indy for the MotoGP motorcycle races on Sunday, and back to work..

And ****, the seller of the '96 232 (502 MPI) just replied to me.....

• Options

Got a question about this '96 232...Seller just told me that it does have an exhaust leak, allowing water into the bilge.  Says it has been that way since he owned it for 4 yrs.  How big of an issue is that?  Motor doesn't have to come out or anything extreme like that to fix would it?

• Options

Got a question about this '96 232...Seller just told me that it does have an exhaust leak, allowing water into the bilge.  Says it has been that way since he owned it for 4 yrs.  How big of an issue is that?  Motor doesn't have to come out or anything extreme like that to fix would it?

I'm researching this myself.   Seems like it should have been fixed when he lst got the boat.  A sign of a negligent owner?  He also told me boat was stored outside in winter (Midwest).  Never kept in the water during a season.  Also said there is no winter canvas and the mooring cover should be replaced.  Sounds like bad storage.  Exhaust manifold or other components may have cracked from subzero temps especially this past winter which was a record breaker in the Midwest.
  • Options

....and it kills me why people don't list issues or conditions that the stuff they're selling may have. 

Don't tell me, runs great, like new, well cared for....then tell me, btw, has an exhaust leak and stored outside during the worst winter in 100 yrs.

• Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Im guessing it wasn't taken care of wouldn't waste my time 

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

x

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    Chrisvr6Chrisvr6 Member Posts: 166 ✭✭
    Yeah, no way my 93 236cc with the 454mag would go anymore than 60. I love the boat. It's really unique and a head turner. 800hrs on mine. 
  • Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    SOOOOOOOOOO which one did you get?????????????????