Holding tank pump out fittings

I bought an 02 250 Fiesta Vee this winter and my holding tank pump out cap was missing. I'm having a heck of a time finding a replacement. Tried 4 different caps so far with no luck. I'm also looking for the "quick connect" fittings that the pump out stations use so I can have my own to screw in and connect rather than the messy annoying rubber universal fitting the stations use. Any idea where to get these and what size I'm looking for? Thanks!

2005 Captiva 232 Liberty Edition, MX6.2/B3, Corsa

Comments

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

QW -I bought several perko plastic waste vent caps at West Marine. You will need to know the size of your pump-out hole. Re the pump-out nozzle, West Marine sells them in several sizes. BTW do you REALLY want that nozzle in your boat? It will be "septic" as in exposed to very, very dangerous bacteria. Are you prepared to handle it with gloves and store it in an air-tight bag? Man, I wouldn't have one of those things anywhere in my boat or transom locker - let the pump-out guys handle that IMO. MT

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

It should be this one made by Perko

http://www.perko.com/catalog/fills_and_vents/474/waste_deck_plate_for_hose/

I agree with MT. I don't want anything on my boat that has to do with waste. I will use the universal fit any day of the week over having to touch a screw in connector.

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

I have to agree with everyone else let the pump guys handle the pump out.

• qwikwhipqwikwhip Member Posts: 63 ✭✭

I've tried ever one that west marine has and none fit. And on my small lake there is only one pump out station and very few boats that actually use it. So the guy didn't even pump my tank all the way because he was fighting with the universal fitting. And I guess in my line of work having to deal with plumbing, it doesn't even phase me. That's what gloves are for. lol

This one actually looks like it might be the one though.

http://www.perko.com/catalog/fills_and_vents/471/waste_deck_plate_for_hose/

2005 Captiva 232 Liberty Edition, MX6.2/B3, Corsa
  • RussRussRussRuss Member Posts: 28

My marina only has the quick connect on the hose, so everybody has to have their own screw in adapter.  Wash it down, unscrew it, wash it down again, bag it and get out the antibacterial juice!!  

• rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭

HUH, every place I have ever pumped out, the pump out end is kind of a tapered rubber and you just stick it in the hole and push, never had to mess with any adapters.  I personally like to pump my own crap out.  I flush the tank 5 or six times until what comes out of the tank is clear.  keeps the smell down since I don't have one of those big orange filters.  I am almost certain that my cap is a perko also. 

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin

rinker312 how do you pump out yourself? Do you use a wet vac?

2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The tapered rubber universal adapter works fine until the day you accidentally lift off while there's still some suction on the line, and you get sprayed in the face with "used beer."  The first time that happens, you'll buy a screw-on adapter!
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL at LaRea:  and thus why I let the girl at the fuel dock do the pump out and tip her well. :)

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin

Even worse..... recycled steak tips.....lol

2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭

LOL, no shop vac.  our marina let's us pump out on our own.  I have already learned the lesson of ensuring that there is no vacuum before removing the hose.  Luckily tank was already empty, so it wasn't too bad.  I always close the valve and then wiggle a little to ensure there is no pressure prior to removing from the port.   friend across the dock from me told a story about the one day he went to pump out and didn't realize that his vent line was blocked.  He said his cap was coming off really hard and all of a sudden, well you know.  So let that be another lesson, if your cap does no screw off easily, STOP and take cover.  LOL

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

hmmm, 15 years of pumping out my own head (using marina's pump out), never been an issue letting the suction breathe every now and then, just to make sure to let it breathe (so I don't collapse the tank).  One of these days I'll install the 3" valve I bought so I don't have to think about it!  I just don't like the thought of drilling such a big hole in the tank.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    I'm with Dream Inn on this.  A few of the public pump-outs are very high suction.  So much so, that I get worried about collapsing the tank with how fast they pull out the waste.  I just crack the rubber nozzle away from the boat slowly, letting the tank breath, and the continue.  Never a splash-back.  I've used the screw in connectors at our marina when the gas girl/guy is busy with another boat, and I think it leaves more residue on and around the cap area, so I like the rubber fittings anyway.  I guess we all have our likes.  

Oh, and Rinker312, get a filter on there.  It is such an easy install and you will never regret having one.  No issues for me in two years with any smells.    

Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie