Options

House batteries

frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
On a 300 2007 express on the factory electrical diagram they mention a house batteries switch... Could not find one on my boat any ideas. (Picture 1) also on the wiring diagrams a lot of the equippements seems to be hook up to battery one. Is battery one an engine battery?

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have two switches like the picture and another in the engine area mounted on the transom.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    JPJonesJPJones Member Posts: 12 ✭✭

Am thinking the house battery switches are the two "toggle" switches--they are not the "selector" type switches.  After you're done boating for the day by turning off the two toggle switches you won't have to worry about accidently leaving some 12V item like a light on which could drain the house bat(s)  The bilge pump is "hard-wired" in case of a leak so the question is whether to leave the charger on.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

x

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options

MT,

I am looking  for a house battery switch that appears in the factory wiring diagram. I was in Alexandria bay city dock with no electric hook up,woke up  with both engines batteries dead  with minimal uses of electricity on board two fridges and some cockpit light (3hrs) I thought that the engines battery would be and  should be isolated. I have 3 new house batteries groups 31. So I don't know how this happen.

• Options
    edited November 2014

x

• Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

My house switch is between my two battery switches. 

• Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

Only one of your batteries should be the house. That battery will also be a starting battery for one motor. The other battery should be isolated and just a starting battery for the other motor.

No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭

B)  

3 house, 1 start. That's right, we have a big boat!!!!!!

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Options
    edited November 2014

x

• Options

MT.    The batteries are on parallel the proper way, I just check DanD2 info and he is right my engine port battery is also a house battery which feed a lot of equippements I could not believe how much equippements it feeds the list would be to long to describe here.I don't like that so I will see what I can do to correct that. 

Thanks for the Infos 

Paul

• Options
    edited November 2014

x

• Options

MT. I tought that all boat where wires as yours is. I don't understand  the idea of using the port engine as a house battery and unless I miss something that I don't know. I guest as long as you are plug in at a dock or running the gen  or engines it is acceptable  but after a few days at anchor ....... So what  it is the use of having a bank of batteries as a house batteries.

• Options

The scenario that I spoke of earlier is usually for cruiser in the under 30ft range. On larger cruisers such as my 342, house batteries are just for the house. The starting batteries are separate and one of the engine batteries is also use for the generator. In reality, on the smaller cruisers, you really should have two different types of batteries, a group 27 or larger deep cell for the house and a cranking battery foe the other. 

It should be set up so that if your house is dead, you can put the switch in emergency and start the motors.

On boats with just one engine, the house battery should be isolated unless the switch is in emergency mode.

• Options

Just to add.......on my previous boat (did not have a gen), I added another house battery so that I would have plenty of juice when on the hook. I also added an inverter so that my wife could make her coffee in the am.

• Options
    edited November 2014

x

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod

I met someone that anchored with us over the weekend that had seven agm house batteries. Man did he have one heck of a stereo system and it sure made one **** of a party!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited November 2014

x