Options

Guinness

Does anyone know how long the 280 Express Cruiser was  in production? ...and secondly what was the reasoning for Rinker to cease production?

Answers

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was in production for six years that I am aware of, maybe even more. I have been in both models several times and I believe the reason it was changed was for style freshening. Some people like the 280 cockpit layout with the rear C shaped bench some people like the 290 cockpit layout with the wrap around benches and the captain's seat the swivels around to face aft. Otherwise I found both boats identical. I have been out on the water on both boats several times and IMO the boat is of a size that requires the 8.2 engine. I have been in a 280 with a 6.2 mag and a 290 with an 8.2 Mag engine. IMO the 280 with the 6.2 was way too slow to accelerate whereas the 290 with the 8.2 mag was perfect. MT

• Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭

My 280 has the 8.1 Merc. I agree, I can't see that boat with the 6.2.

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Options
    GuinessGuiness Member Posts: 14

MT.... When was the last year of production?

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014

Argue...... nah. 300hp in our 270 is about right. More would be ok but its not an engineering mistake to provide options that keep the intial purchase price down if the boat performs adequately....which 300hp does. Its not a performance boat, for us it's an RV that gives us a mobile water front cottage wherever we choose.  aka tikihut.

Mobile TikiHut provides natives with happy weekend home. Oo-ga-chaka. Skimpy grass skirt on girls bigger priority. Aloha.

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Guiness, I'm really stretching my memory here but I believe there are TWO models of Rinker 280s. There was a 280 Fiesta Vee that I think ran from about 1992 to 2000 and the EC 280 that I believe you are referring to that ran from about 2005/6 to 2012. There is often model overlap in boats just as there is in cars, so sometimes you can have say an EC 280 and an EC 290 coming out in what appears to be the same calendar "year" . Rinker does make changes (which is GOOD) to models even as they come down the assembly line if they find something they want to improve. Boat builders aren't quite where the car manufacturers are yet - intorducing 2015 cars in the March of 2014 LOL MT

• Options

Your spot on MT I was referring to the 280 Express Cruiser. Thank you for your feedback.I'm in the process of buying a 280 and I'm trying to get as much info as I can. You as well as the other guys on this forum have been of great help. Of course there has been a lot of other topics on here that has been scaring the **** out of me as well... Lol. I'm not as handy as many of the posters so I'm trying to do the best I can in the due diligence department.

• Options

I don't need a 342!.......plus my slip is only 30'. I know Yan your going to tell me to get a bigger slip ...but it came with the condo:)

• Options

Guiness, don't let the issues we discuss deter you. It sounds like you have a great set-up. We have a waterfront condo too with a 30 foot boat slip. Unfortunately we have a 360 Rinker. No hardship though, we rent our condo slip and the slip We rent is 30 minutes  away. There is no question that we boaters do have some maintenence to do from time to time but you will be fine. I know this because you are doing your homework which already puts you in the Boating MENSA Club. As well, as you have noted, there are a ton of smart and kind boating colleagues on this forum who will help you AND usually your fellow slip mates will help with advice, hands on help and also tell you who you can trust among the local technicians/dealers. You'll be fine and have fun! Remember, every day you spend on the water extends your life line :-) MT

• Options
    edited August 2014

Guiness, if you google Rinker 280 and click on the Yacht world site that pops-up there is a nice looking Rinker 280 with a new 496 for sale in Kemah Tx. That is a NEW 496 and man would that boat move.No having to ask all your guests to stand in the front of the cockpit. :-)  It has all the options and looks real clean. There are often decent priced 280s on that site. MT P.S. Rinker now offers a 270Hp engine (that would be a 5.7) in its entry level 192 - yes I said 192!

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is that the 280EC was just too close to the 260EC. It was when I bought my 260EC, it didn't have enough extra room to warrant the additional cost.  Basically, if I had to jump from the 260EC, the best bet would be the 320EC - beam is the main issue.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"