Options

Rinker 246 "R" Package

jfdeng5jfdeng5 Member Posts: 13

I am a long time Rinker owner.  Currently in a 99 330 FV.  We have 2 girls ready for some water sports fun, so we are downsizing.  NOT EASY!!!  We almost decided to buy a 276 today.  We have since retreated back to where we started and are at a 246.  I need some help and was hoping Steve or anyone who might have an answer might read this.  The bimini on the 246 with an arch is horrendous.  It looks like an after thought and it took 3 of us to put up in the showroom...awkwardly I might add.  Many of the options we want are in the "R" package.  I can't find any picks of a 246 with this arch and bimini.  My dealer does not have one, but I want to see one so I know what to do.  Does anyone possibly have any?  Also, I see many with and without trim tabs.  Will I need these at all for heavy loads or just for uneven ones on this?  The model I'm looking at will have the Mag 350 B3.  Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

x

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options

MT, thank you for your comments. Your insights will be duly noted. I probably should've mentioned the girls I am talking about are eight and four years old. I agree the 6.2 would be a much better option, but it is hard to part with the considerably larger amount of money.  I also understand I am not looking at the ideal boat for water sports either. Thanks again you gave me a lot of think about.

• Options
    edited November 2014

x

• Options
    edited November 2014

x

• Options
    DZDZ Member Posts: 55 ✭✭

Our 246 with the 350 pulls just fine for our needs, but we aren't doing any competitions or anything. Been quite happy with it overall.

• Options

Thanks again MT and DZ for the responses.  We are not sure what we are going to do.  Not an easy move, especially when our boat is not bringing the numbers we would like.  We'll keep looking and go from there.  Happy boating!!!

• Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭

I've got a 276 with 350 mag/B3. Normal load for use is 2 adults and 2 large dogs, so figure about 425lbs in crew and somewhere around 40-70 gallons of fuel & water. 

Our normal cruise rpm is 34-3800rpm, and thats about 25-30mph depending on wind and wave conditions. I'm sure a 246 would be a little faster at the same rpm due to lower weight. We average right about 3-3.5mpg at cruise, and again the 246 should be a little better.

I LOVE the trim tabs, and consider them a definite must have especially if you are doing water sports. They smooth out the ride and help keep the stern from plowing under on a hard launch. 

Here's a nice review with the 350 mag. Looks like 50mph top end and cruises around 5mph faster at the same rpm compared to mine. So a 377 mag would probably be another 2-4mph on top of these numbers and almost the same GPH.

http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?ID=1026

I will say I LOVE LOVE LOVE the cockpit layout of our 276, and we use the huge sunpad every time out. The cuddy is just big enough for us, and the standard GPS and trim tabs are rare for this $$. I like the 246, but it wasnt a TON cheaper than our 276 "boat show price" and I think it would be much easier to fit a bunch of people on it vs. the 246.

2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    I have an 06 246 cc with the 350 mag, captains call and tabs. I boat in western Lake Erie.
    The 350 does well for us. tops out at about 48-49 on a flat day.  We cruise at 3300 rpms at about 26mph. The boat pulls well, it has a 2.2 ration bravo 3 with 24 pitch props. We don't ski all that often and typically have 40 gallons of fuel, 2 people, 2 dogs and a bunch of "stuff" on board.
    I have spoken with Kim Sloakum about the best setup on the 246 and he tells me that going with the larger motor doesn't work out all that well do to adding more than 250 pounds of wight at the back of the boat and down low, If you want to ride in one on the water just call me. But make it fast as the boat is being pulled in 2 weeks. I am open to selling mine as well.