Options

Kohler 5K Generator Questions

djstewydjstewy Member Posts: 37 ✭✭

Hi All,

So with this being the first boat I've had with a generator I was hoping for a little guidance on a couple questions; mind you I would just pull up the manual for the generator, but it's sitting down on the boat right now and forgot to snag it before I headed back home.

The first is, does anyone else ever get a slight sheen on the water when running their generator?  I'm not sure what fluid it would be, but you can notice a very faint sheen on the water when running the generator for awhile.  I've checked my oil levels and its looking good.  I was thinking perhaps the exhaust is mixing in a bit with the water, but I'm not sure.

The second is in reference to the photo below.  The holding tank for this fluid is pretty darn low, but I'm not afraid to say I have no idea what it is... cooling fluid perhaps?  Whatever it is, I'll need to buy some so any recommendation on brand/type would be appreciated.  I figured a few of the pro's on the forum could give me a quick answer instead of me having to run back down to the boat to snag the manual.

Thanks!

Derek

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bulletins for the 5e are posted up in the generator section. The bottle is your coolant overflow. Don't let it get low or it will suck in air and you'll have more problems. 

The exhaust does mix with the raw water cooling. You really should not be seeing a sheen on the water. 

Welcome aboard!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome aboard. The sheen is not good for a number of reasons: first, something is leaking a mineral-based product - second, the fines for a sheen are CRAZY if the wrong guy comes across it. Needs fixing. MT

• Options
    CrewLoungeCrewLounge Member Posts: 92 ✭✭

the sheen is carbon from the exhaust

• Options
    jfdeng5jfdeng5 Member Posts: 13

I will not tell you a long story that involves frustration, a large bill, and frustration.  What I will do is tell you I have this generator and have had a sheen on the water in the past.  A couple questions.  First, if you get close to the exhaust, can you smell gasoline?  Not exhaust, but gasoline like when you are filling up your car.  Second, is it running louder than normal?  If you have these symptoms I may be able to help, if not......I don't know.

• Options
    raysmith1217raysmith1217 Member Posts: 4
    my generator is doing the same thing and yes the exhaust seems a lil louder then normal. ??
  • Options
    seadogsseadogs Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    My 5e had the same problem. load and the sheen on the water. The choke was stuck on causing a full rich problem. Did a repair to the choke  vacuum line and has not had the problem since.
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

When I first got my boat, my 5E also produce a sheen. It was also running rough, and rich. I had the marina put in a new choke and the problem pretty much went away.

One thing that I've heard over and over, and have witnessed myself....these 5E's don't like to just sit. They should be run at least once a week under a load for at least a half hour. If you do that, it'll start and run like a champ.

No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    swedeswede Member Posts: 88 ✭✭

mine 5e runs up and down on the rpm. for a while and stops ,new plugs ,new impeller, help wanted.

Swede

Living in sweden 

• Options
    What you have is surging and it is caused by running lean. So a few tips:
    there is a fuel filter at the fuel pump input, change it.  If you have an in-line filter to the gen then replace the filter at the pump with a barbed adapter. 

Anti-diesel valve: screws into the side of the carb and has a wire attached. Take it iut and clean it. The plunger at the tip needs to move free. They are known to go bad too. 

Clean the spark arrestor. Spray carb cleaner on the linkage and into the carb while running. You can also bypass the fuel tank and run the gen from a gas container with seafoam or other fuel sustem cleaner, go extra heavy on the additive. Just let it run. 

Good luck!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    swedeswede Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Thanks 
    Work to do under The weekend 
    Mayby the choke? 
  • Options
    The choke is electric, clean the linkage. You can clean the contacts too, but the choke will not cause the surging problem. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI