Options

Batteries are dead and can't open hatch.

jg.holtjg.holt Member Posts: 0
I have a 2011 Rinker 260 EC.  One of the two batteries installed with the boat when I bought it is not holding a charge.  I am sure the dealer put in cheap batteries as they appear to be standard flooded marine batteries that may or may not have been brand new.  Anyways, I replaced the battery with a new AGM battery.  Since there are two batteries (one new AGM and one standard flooded type) of different types, am I going to run into problems with the onboard charging system?  Am I better off just switching to both AGM type batteries to keep it consistent even though my other flooded battery is working okay at this time?  Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    darcydarcy Member Posts: 2
    Hello all,   I'm new, so my apologies if this is a repeat topic.  I'm in the process of buying a 2000 340 Fiesta Vee.  I'm having a mechanical inspection done and survey.  Anything special I should be looking for?   Thanks!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Inside the compartment where you have the battery switches, you should see two bolt threads with wire lugs on them.  Use a portable jump pack and connect.  One direction it will go up, the other down.  Although on your boat, since it is newer, the up may be the only one to work. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    l-skynyrdl-skynyrd Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭

On my boat if you remove the cockpit table mount in the floor you can access the top of the ram. Remove the pin and you can lift the engine hatch. Will need two people to lift it. Then prop it open with dock pole or broom handle.

Len

You have to love the water....

Len & Robyn   342 FV  Freebird

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey JG. The quick answer is that you should not mix flooded and AGM batteries as they charge and behave differently and - have different chemical compositions. If you decide to buy an AGM for your starting battery (which I assume the flooded style battery is ) make sure the AGM has enough cranking amps to do the job well. There are a number of them that can do that easily. I have series 31 Deka-Penn AGMs (two for starting and two for house). They are beasts - very strong. Model number 8A13DT. Now for the flip side of the answer. I believe that there are a number of battery chargers that can charge two batteries with two different chemical compositions ( flooded and AGM) simultaneously. That said, it would probably be less work and cheaper to switch the second flooded battery for an AGM.
  • Options
    JG - the model number for the D-P AGMs is 8A31DT - sorry about that!
  • Options
    JG a clarification. I have been corrected by a family member who is a chemical engineer. He says technically you can mix flooded and AGM batteries as their charging rates are pretty similar, but he says it's probbaly better not to, if you can afford the secong AGM. You can also get the AGMs in series 24 and 27 sizes. For anyone who has the Axius system and installs AGMs I have been told you should as in "mus"t change the charging profile of your charger to AGM to avoid voltage surges during charging - which the Axius doesn't like. With the new Intellipower battery chargers that Rinker (good work guys) is installing that is a five second job by using the Intellipower's lcd keypad. Long story short I will be using AGMs from this time on and will (cost aside) be keeping all batteries AGM and switching my charger to the AGM designation. Geez I talk a lot!
  • Options
    AlswaggAlswagg Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The alternator will charge either style but the battery charger will not without switching settings on the charger.     Flooded acid battery will last 3 years and then change.  simple  Al
  • Options
    MIKES342MIKES342 Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    Alswagg glad to see you on this sight.  I have always enjoyed your expertise and responses over the years
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Me tooooo!

Tony

Salt Shaker 342

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do the 3 year change out too. Keeps my mind at peace. lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI