Options

Windlass question

This weekend had my Rinker anchor out- from the beach- aft side facing shore.  I had about 100feet of rode out- when pulling the anchor rode back in- getting about 30' to the end- it stops (motor still runs but rode not reeling in) if I drop it down 10' and pull up it begins to come in.  I have to drop and pull up multiple times to get the anchor up in lock position.  I adjust the port side 'nut' tight- is there something i'm missing or should adjust-- OR is it normal procedure to 'yo-yo' up and down at the end to secure?? 

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it 'skipping" on the line to chain connection?  That is pretty common.

The windlass is not made to haul your boat 'in' as you pull in the rode either.  You can wear out the clutch on the windlass or overheat it.  If you already have the clutch tight you may have worn it out too.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    glynnalanglynnalan Member Posts: 36

it just stops and motor hums 'freezes up'.  dropping it and bringing it up again gets it done. 

• Options

You might check to make sure the rode is not getting caught up from below (piling up) and jamming the windlass too.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options

a friend suggested letting the rode all the way out to end and rewind?

• Options

Worth a try..take a look in the rode locker and see if it is piling up and jamming too before you do that.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options

windlass is sealed in a bow locker up front--cant see rode.  how can I access where the rode is stored?
  • Options

what model do you have?  Typically the mirror or other panel is velcro attached at the bow in the cabin, pull it off there is a deckplate to unscrew.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to bet that your rope is piling up perfectly and you are running out of rope locker height, then it hits the windlass motor and can push in any more.  It happened once to me.  The rope perfectly coils on top of itself in one small diameter pile, instead of spilling all over the rope locker.  When this happened to me, I tried to yo yo and could not get it fixed. I had to access the locker (behind the mirror) and pull down the pile to make room for the rest of the rope.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"