Options

Prop won't spin

I have a alpha one mercruiser  that is off the boat and on a stand in my basement.  I just recently got this boat with a bad motor but was told the outdrive was good . The only problem is the shaft on top spins freely  but the prop is frozen in place. I've tried taking it in and of gear but still can't get it to move. If anyone has any input I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Answers

• Options
    rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭

So you can spin the drive shaft. Correct?  Can you still spin the drive shaft while you are putting it in and out of gear?  Or does the drive shaft freeze up also when you put it in gear?  I am not all that familiar with the inner workings of the drives but if your prop never frees up and your drive shaft is always spinning then it seems like it is not shifting properly or something  I don't think there is any easy fix. Think you would need to get it to someone who can open it up. Perhaps someone else will have some other thoughts. 

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do a google search and then call All American Drive Service. He'll talk you through it and tell you if it's salvageable. Good luck. Mike

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a "safety pin/key" in those drives that sheers if there's too much resistance on the prop, to save the drive from further damage?

Do the props actually turn by hand?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's in gear the drive shaft should spin the prop with little effort and vice-versa. No prop movement or even a jammed prop wouldn't be red hot news imho. Check the oil and even pull the top cap. Milky oil, water or metal is obviously not a good sign.

Mark, there's a shear pin in some outboard props but I don't think there is in this drive, just a rubber hub insert.

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

++ to Tiki's suggestions above. 

http://www.allamericandriveservice.com/index.html

ph 877-283-5465  these guys rebuilt my B-III's and offer a 2-year warranty too.

The Alpha 1 drive is pretty straight forward, if the prop will not spin by hand you have a larger problem to solve.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI