MerCruiser Bravo 3 - Gear Ratio

I need to replace my 2000 Fiesta Vee 310 Bravo 3 outdrives. How can I determine the gear ratio to order the correct ones?

Comments

• TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it isn't legible on the side of the drive then call/email the company with your hull ID#. 

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • jlathburyjlathbury Member Posts: 3

I am a SCUBA Instructor and I always tell my students that there is no such thing as a stupid question, but this sounds like one....

Here goes....

Where do I find the Hull ID?

I looked this morning and it was not obvious.

Thanks

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014

look at the upper right side of the transom (outside of boat).

2008 330EC

Near the back on the outside starboard side(?) There's a code for mfg yr/date/ etc but I forget what it is. Mine is an '04 so that's all I get. Anyway, it looks like this.....

Good luck and document all the ser#s you can find (hull/drive/engine/genset/etc). Pictures work best for me. Mike

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

Count the spin... Mark your prop, spin input shaft with drive off boat, and you'll know the ratio... it's only gotta be close, and then.compare to.available ratios for the drive... For mine, for instance, I thought I had a 1.62 to 1, but turns (no pun intended) it was a 1.82:1.... it's actually pretty obvious, even though it looks like it could be easily mistaken. 

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the past Bravo llls have had 1:81  2:00  2:20  and  2:43 to one ratios. If you e.mail your hull identification number to Randy Rinkler he should be able to tell you very quickly what it was shipped with. BTW - if you have old maintenance/service invoices your drive ratio may be on them? MT

• jlathburyjlathbury Member Posts: 3

Thanks all for the info. I was looking at 6am when the light was not so good. I check again tomorrow in daylight!
    edited August 2014

You might get a wire brush to the lower port side of the drive housing and get the number right from the drive too.....

....if your boat wasn't built on a monday or friday the engine installer might have actually put the outdrive sticker serial numbers on the engine cowling cover. Mine didn't but I found them still in my original docs and put them on for future owners. 

• rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭

FYI. It is stamped into the drive also. But I believe it is under the stickers. I noticed it when I was refurbishing my drives. 

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL