Options

2006 246 BR Thru Hull Exhaust

BacknBlackBacknBlack Member Posts: 3

Anyone have any information/leads on where to buy a thru hull exhaust kit and the complexity of the install?

8.1 Litre Volvo

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a number of systems available. I like Corsa Quick and Quiet. It involves two ss  "y": units with switchable 70 amp solenoids that divert the exhaust and gas either out the through hulls ot out through the prop. You would need the diverter units, some through hull tips - I favor composite (say from Gil marine offshore) - over ss as the composites will never rust. Two exterior  rubber flappers to reduce the chance of water entering the pipes during a ramp launch or a quick deceleration, two lengths (several feet each) of purpose designed wet exhaust hose and some sika flex or 3M 5200 ( to set the exhaust tips into). In some cases you have to get exhaust riser extensions if your exhaust manifolds would be below the level of the tips to stop water backflow. You will need 6 mercury type felxible collars and ring clamps to affix the Corsas to the risers, the Y yoke to the prop exhaust and to the two through hulls. All of this is quite doable. You will get a template from Corse to use to cut out the holes. This will require an HD shop drill. When the holes are cut put a bead of sika flex or 3M 4200 inside the holes and using a small paint brush smooth it ALL around the exposed cut through the transom to seal it. Pre drill the holes for the off shore tips, usually 3 per tip. Put sika flex or 3m 4200 into the holes. Put a generous bead of  3M 5200 on the inside flanges of the two through hulls, slide them in, tighten the bolts on the flanges equally as you go around in a circle evenly and wipe off the excess 5200 that will squeeze out. Tighten all of the clamps a second time and again after running the boat. Run the wiring to a dash switch at the helm or as i usually did the side coaming. As Corsa will explain a VERY HD wire is rqeuired. I recommend insytalling a seperate battery for this system (if you don't already have a house battery) necause if you leave it on it will drain your starter battery. This whole procedure can be easily done in an afternoon with two guys. Measure six times to cut the two holes. Save the beer until after the installation - for the cheering - when you hear the awesome unmistakable sound of an unleashed big block. When out on the water it will be the most fun you can legally have in public. MT

• Options
    BacknBlackBacknBlack Member Posts: 3

Thanks for the very detailed response Michael. The factory thru hull location on this boat is below the swimdeck as far out to the sides as you can go. To me it seems like the exhaust is in the water more often than not. Is there anything preventing me from running the exhaust through the sides of the boat?
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014

In almost all applications a side exit will work just fine and is, in fact, preferred by many installers to reduce potential exhaust back-draft. I had Rinker factory installed side exhausts in my 2011 Rinker 226XL. The only extra pieces required were two ss 90 degree elbows and a side exhaust tip configuration. The only requirement (unless you are willing to have a custom fabrication of your exhaust tips) is to find a flat place on the hull side on which to bolt the through hull exhaust tips. Some manufacturers and boat models have fancy stepped hull sides that have been tooled-in at the stern that makes finding a flat spot harder. On my Rinker 190 the exhaust tips went out the transom, well under the swim platform. They were partly in the water most of the time too but the exhaust tip add on flappers prevented water intrusion. As well, I was careful when backing the boat into the water on the trailer and when throttling down - which EVERY boater should do anyway. The only measurement I had to ensure with that installation was to ensure that the tips were lower than the exhaust manifold elbows. For a picture of that installation go to the Rinker Picture Gallery on this forum amd find the posting "The Boys Are Back In Town". Click on the transom shot of the Rinker 190. That was one of my installs. You can even click on specific locations in the picture itself with your cursor to enlarge. Good Luck. MT .....P.S. The exhaust under the swim platform is a bit quieter at idle (no wake zones) and just a loud once you go on plane as the exhausts will be well out of the water. BUT installing under the swim platform can result in some exhaust marks on the swim platform that happens only a little with side exhausts. BTW - I should have mentioned in my post on the Rinker Photo Gallery "The Boys Are All back In Town" there are pictures of my 226 XL with the Rinker factory installed side exhausts.

Post edited by Michael T on