Noise

frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Hi,

When I turn my steering wheel to starboard a low speed I can here a noise like cavitation not mechanical and only on starboard side.

Hard to describe the noise exactly sound  like sucking air or vacuum.

Comments

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you checked your power steering fluid resevoir level? MT

• frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did the fluid level drop recently and have to have fluid added? If so, what fluid did you use 92-858074K01 or 92-858074KC1 or did you use Dexron lll or did you use combination steering/trim fluid? Did your power steering fluid resevoir ever get air in it? Are there any signs of fluid leaks at the fittings? When you mention you have the wheel turned to starboard is it HARD over to starboard when the noise occurs? Have you turned the wheel full (not hard) to port then full to starboard several times and the noise still persists? MT

Thanks MT.

Noise happens when I turned the steering to starboard only a 20 to 30 degrees and only to starboard, I will check your recommendations. But no leak 

• TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Same thing happened to me.  20 to 30 degrees to starboard.  It grew worse and worse until I was steering no more.  Lucky for me I was one marina away from a top notch repair station when it gave up the ghost.  In my case the piston eventually leaked but I think that was not the first symptom.  The first sympton was "growling" when turning to starboard.

Tony

Salt Shaker 342

Tony,

Are you talking about the piston in the steering actuator?

Thanks

Tony,

From your Infos I suspect that could be the problem do you know how the repair shop came to that conclusion ?

The actuator parts are not available only the complete unit $$$$$ but there is new one on ebay for my model 175$ 

edited August 2014

Basically he had the starboard engine running and turned the wheel and could feel the piston/ram stutter and hear it make noises.  Since the Salt Shaker is a salt water boat the mechanic expected the removal to be a problem.  He knew this even we were at one of the marinas at the top of the Detroit River.  Fresh water.

Hammering could not make any of the bolts budge.  He wound up sawing the ram in two which made it possible to work on one end at a time.  That was the ticket.  Lots of hammering, banging and sawing noises.  Finally he got all of it removed and installed the replacement.  This guy was very good.

Yes lots of $$$.

Tony

I think I mis spoke in an earlier post the eventually the boat was unstearable.  That was not the case.  It just got noisier and noiser accompanied by the steering wheel stutter.

Thanks Tony I will check that out