Doing a good deed cost me

2»

Comments

• Options
    LobodemarLobodemar Member Posts: 124 ✭✭
    I agree with you RB3
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Guys, I'm sure we're all talking same stuff.  unfortunately we both had to get out at low tide cause we had to fit under a bridge on our way home.  all was fine, just didn't like what I saw, but hands tied behind my back.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About 10 years ago I saw a boat being towed past my house. I don't know what the guys were using for a tow line but it snapped. It sounded like a gun shot. It recoiled so fast I couldn't see the line. It sheared off the vhf mast on the boat being towed. When a certifed marine tow operator arrived he wasn't impressed. I could hear him telling the guys someone could have been killed. If you don't have the proper equipment don't tow. Stay on site, offer to ferry prople, give them a line to avoid them drifting onto rocks but don't tow - imo. MT
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and yes I did get a bigger boat, I needed it! I think we are getting side tracked by details here, none of want to spend our weekends running around helping stranded people. We would be in the Sea Tow business if that were the case. Let's just look out for each other as best we can and life will be good!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lot's of good comments on here about this, and I think no one would leave a fellow boater in trouble if they could help.  I know around here the CG or sheriff only 'tow' by being tied up side to side, not with a long line.  If you've ever 4-wheeled, you will hear stories of winch lines/straps going through windshields..if they break they are a huge rubberband and can kill.

http://www.southernhighrollers.com/tips/articles/a_near_miss_from.htm

Be safe!!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI