Options

Boat seats for 2000 Captiva 232

I am going to change out the pedestals in our boat. We bought a pair that can be raised and lowered. There are phillips screws, not bolts, that hold down the existing pedestals. I am not sure if they can be re-used. Will I need to get under the floor?

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

It will depend on the mounting holes of your new seat. See if they line up. NO reason why you can't reuse the same screws. As long as they're in good shape, I'd recommend it.

I replaced the seat on my 232 with the movable bolster type and it was one of the best mods I ever did.

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

They may be the type of screws that fit into a threaded fitting that has a series of small teeth and is hammered into the underside of the flooring, if it is marine plywood. If so, when re-installing the screws put a little bit of oil on them so they don't bind and don't overtighten the underside fittings causing them to "spin". If they are just basic wood screws that go into marine plywood you could buy a cedar shim and cut a sliver of wood for each hole and put them into the holes - that way when you put the wood screws back in they will have extra purchase as the cedar is soft and will form easily to the screw pattern and not deform the plywood. This works for fiberglass too. MT