Options

GoLight Remote

Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

My GoLight wireless remote is going thru batteries like they are going out of style. If I replace them with fresh batteries, within 2 weeks, they are dead. I am considering hardwiring the remote to the boats 12VDC system so I don't have to constantly replace batteries, or I am going to replace the remote. I just hate to spend $50 on a new remote and it do the same thing. Any thoughts???

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
Go Steelers!!!

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

That does not make sense. I replaced my batteries 2.5 years ago, and they are still working fine.  Is one of the buttons supressed, causing constant signal release, which would kill the batteries. Is it wet? How often do you use it?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options

I used it once in 2 weeks. This past weekend I went to check it, and the batteries were dead. It is in a place where it doesn't get wet and I haven't gotten caught in any rain. I am perplexed.

Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    kneedeepkneedeep Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

Same thing for me.  Doesn't really bother me because I rarely boat at night.  I always keep an extra set of batteries so that I have them if I need them.  Let me know if you figure it out.

• Options
    OldDogNewTrixOldDogNewTrix Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2014

My boat is 4 years old and on the original batteries. In fact I just realized this year there were batteries under the rubber cover. Must be something bad in your remote.

Wayne '09 340 EC
  • Options

I vote for bad remote.  I guess what you can do is take the batteries out and only put them in when you need to use it. Otherwise looks like you need to replace it.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Um... Wow... I talked to a rep at GoLight and he said that there was probably some water damage in the remote to make it go bad and kill the batteries. It makes sense to me since the PO of the boat left the camper top up all of the time and it could have gotten soaked a few times. The best part is that he is sending me out a new remote free of charge. I am very impressed with that kind of customer service. I didn't expect that at all.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Great keep us posted on when the new remote comes and if it solves your problem
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Good outcome Cableguy.  That's what I suspected, when I asked "Is it wet?"

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    The new remote showed up, got it installed and it works great! It has been installed for 2 1/2 weeks. The batteries are still holding up where the old remote would be dead by now. I am very impressed with the customer service at GoLight.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Great glad your problem is resolved........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Yeah, there pretty good. I had a connector that was broken. They mailed stuff for free and quick.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    Had issues with our spotlight ever since we got the boat two years ago. Finally got around to diagnosing the problem with GoLight. Figured out it was the wireless remote. They sent me a new one under warranty and all is working fine again.

Awesome customer service!
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s so timely - my batteries are lasting less than a month with zero use of the spotlight. I will try them on as well. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    Couple things to check.

Unscrew the remote from the cockpit and put in fresh batteries -- but don't put the rubber cover back on.

Then walk up close to the light and press the **** out of each button. You may need to use a pencil (eraser end) to push the buttons on the circuit board.

You may get some results. Key thing is the red light in the middle of the remote should light up each and every time you depress a button. And it should be steady, not fading in and out.

If it fades in and out, or some buttons work but not others, you need a new remote.

• Options
    YYZRC said:
    That’s so timely - my batteries are lasting less than a month with zero use of the spotlight. I will try them on as well. 
    Should last much longer that that. Me thinks one of your buttons is suppressed, or faulty remote. Should last at least 2 years, unless you are running a disco using it on the weekends.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never used the spotlight except to briefly test the new batteries!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    I have never used the spotlight except to briefly test the new batteries!
    Same here, and I put a new light assembly in! Every once in a while I do turn it on to make me feel good. Next time I’m out at night, I’m going to make sure I use it! LoL
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did tell you guys about the time i fired-up my spotlight in a marina and about six other spotlights came on (on rinker boats) - they maut have all had the same codes and no one had changed them. Probably the first time some dufus (me) had turned a spotlight on in his slip nin a marina. I had a lot of fun switching them on and off and playing with them until the Admiral sent me to my room below. There were a lot of confused people running around!