Options

Anyone ever consider a new canvas enclosure with no windows?

kneedeepkneedeep Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
My isinglass (sp?) is shot & the boat will need new canvas soon.  I'm thinking about getting all canvas, without windows.  Here are some of my thoughts: 1. Most important - I'd like to keep the sun off of the interior to keep it looking new longer. 2. When I go away for the weekend, I take the canvas down & it doesn't go up until I return - I never sit on the boat with the canvas up. 3. In 3 years, I've only driven in bad weather a few times. 4. Should be cheaper to replace 5. Easier to store.  6. Should last longer - my canvas still looks pretty good but my windows look horrible.  The only downside that I'm thinking of is that a future buyer may not like it.

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    'Eisenglas' is really just plastic with poor UV / wear properties.  Strataglas is much better, but is more money.  I think no windows would not serve much of a purpose at all.  I went with Strataglass, have dash/seat covers and added in screens that zip in place for the window panels  I leave my camper canvas up all season here (Mich).  Just my .02

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    I thought about from a privacy standpoint before, but not since moving up to a cruiser.  Our 24' Four Winns, I thought it would be good to be able to have the cockpit for living in and changing, instead of fighting with height in the cuddy.  My guess, or suggestion, would be to keep the original front eisenglass incase of that freak storm where you need it.  
    Black Diamond, what exactly did you do with these screens zipping in?  Sounds interesting.
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, that'd get pretty stifling on a sunny day. I know my black mooring cover can make the support poles hard to hold on a sunny day when I take it down.

Since your current canvas is in good shape, but the plastic is shot, what about this: Replace the plastic so its all new and then have flaps sewn in that cover the outside of the "windows". That way you'd have the best of all worlds. Vision for when you need it, 100% UV protection for the new plastic and interior, and a future buyer would likely like the option. I'd think snaps or velcro for the "flaps" would hold it snug enough.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kneedeep, I wouldn't do this, just for the fact the glass might come in handy during an emergency. What if a big storm comes in, how will you navigate without the canvas on and being able to see through it?

Having said that, there are other solutions. As BD points out, you can go for strataglass, much better, and a bit more $$.

HOWEVER!  There's one more option. If you have the canvas made up by a custom fitter, you can ask them to put Velcro boarders around the eissenglass (on the outside of the boat). Then you can have removable sheets of canvas cut to fit over the eissenglass.  This will protect the eissenglass when covered, and also cut down on the heat inside the boat.  Plus when you role it up, it will serve as a wedge between the eissenglass to protect it when stowed.

I don't think adding a few Velcro strips and canvas sheets will do much to the overall price.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
    I like Mark's idea, that gives you the best of both worlds.  When I start to work on my new canvas enclosure, I was actually planning on two enclosures.  One made completely out of screen material.  and another with the normal eisenglass.  I would rarely use the eisenglass one unless going on a long trip and worried about weather, but I would leave the screen on most of the time because our boat is under roof so is out of the sun, and the screen material would just keep the bugs, spiders, mayfly's etc... out of the cockpit during the week when we are not there.  When we get there we could remove the screen easily and just fold it up.  Please post back what you end up doing and some pictures.  I am hoping to work on mine over the winter, will post results of what I end up with.  Good luck

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

• Options
    dropoutdropout Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    Have you thought about buying a cockpit cover? Although that too has it draw backs but I think it will serve your pupose.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    I have both sets, regular isenglass and then an all black leather one that zips right where the isenglass goes. I love the all black one to use in mid summer, easy to take down the just throw under the seat. Isenglass just there if I need to ride in the rain. Then, other times of year, spring/fall, I use isenglass or a mix of the two. The sun is more at the back of my boat, so I put the black up and leave glass on front (which is much tougher for me to take down) - I just switched to this configuration yesterday.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    kneedeepkneedeep Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the comments - a lot of good points.  When I get it done, I'll post pics.