Options

Clarion M455 dead

I have been having a problem that has gotten progressively worse with my stereo. The power will click off on the head unit as if the unit is tripping some sort of overload.  At some point it may/may not be able to turn it back on, where it will almost immd trip again.

12v at the harness stays on, which make me thinks i need a new head unit.

i cannot find a M455.  If anyone has a working unit they changed out , please hit me.

i am not in love why the m455 and would swap it out if I had a plug and play option. I don't want to lose my remotes.

any suggestions or ideas. I would highly appreciate it.

Thomas
lake travis tx 

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put a call or web chat with someone at Crutchfield, they are great for knowing old stuff and finding suitable replacements.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
    I have seen this in the past with stereos where they warm up and then shut off.  Bet you need a new unit. I replaced my sony a few years ago. I replaced it with another sony and the plugs matched exactly. It was awesome.  Check into it. Perhaps you could have the same luck. 

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

• Options
    LobodemarLobodemar Member Posts: 124 ✭✭
    I used to had a M455 deck I replaced with a M303 with a wireless remote great product.  Bluethoot pairs with cell phone and tablet.  Super to play music from TUNEIN RADIO over the net
  • Options
    LobodemarLobodemar Member Posts: 124 ✭✭
    The wireless remote is Clarion MF1
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    Our M455 did the exact same thing - began shutting off a few weeks ago. Checked power to the unit. Turns out the head unit was bad. 
    Replaced it with a new M303 & new remotes.
    Don't even attempt to figure out what went bad with your 455. I got a big ol 'bill' from a local stereo shop trying to sleuth out the issue.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    BTW - tomorrow is our garbage day. The M455 Clarion is at the bottom of the bag!
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that a 'clarion call'?  lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    DZDZ Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    The Clarion M455s are notorious for this. Limped through one season with it, and it got worse and worse. Didn't want to have to replace the remotes and deal with that headache, so I gambled on a used M455 cheap on eBay. It's in its second season, and still working fine. Really hard to find now, I bet, along with the only other model (don't remember which) that works with the same remotes. On the plus side, if you have a working one, it's very easy to use the extra outputs on the back and install a mini audio jack nearby for hooking up an iPhone, etc. No fancy Bluetooth or anything, but it works just fine.
  • Options
    sparky1972sparky1972 Member Posts: 2
    Wow  I need a m 455a also 
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Glad I have Kenwood.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX