Options

Raw water pump for head

Anybody know if the raw water pump for the head can be rebuilt?  This weekend I used the head brought water in fine. Then flushed. Then went to bring in some more raw water and got nothing. Not even a click.  Got in at the pump and tapped on it and it started working. So I assume it is only a matter of time till it is gone for good.  So just wondering if I am going to need a new one or if they can be rebuilt.   Leg me know your thoughts.   Thanks 

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd vote new too. Sounds like the motor part is bad and you won't find a rebuild kit for that. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New. It will be cheaper. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
    OK, Thanks All.  I will have to get in there again and pick up the part number off the pump and start looking around.  These pumps real expensive?  Just wondering how much this will whack me.

• Options
    rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
    FYI. I finally got so fed up with the on and off again operation of this pump that I went in and pulled it out. I figured I had nothing to lose so I took it apart. It was apparent from the pictures below that it got some moisture in it.  Last year I had a leak in there for a couple weeks that I didn't know about and I am sure that is what caused this.  I figured all the rust on everything may be causing the problem so I took it home and used a wire brush inside the housing and on the magnets to clean up all the loose rust. Then used a scotch brite pad on my die grinder to clean up the armature and some fine sand paper on the brushes and commutator. Then reassembled using some silicone to seal it since the big oring seals broke on disassembly. I put it back in this last weekend and it is running great and worked all weekend so I think the problem is solved.   Just wanted to let everyone know this, might save someone else a few bucks in the future