Options

Electrical Panel Port Switch Question

MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2014 in Electrical Discussions
Hello team! 

My panel has a switch labelled Port side, I assume for Port shore power. Why wouldn't there be one for starboard shore power (connection at stern of boat)? 

See picture below, the port switch is above the white volt meter labelled "Port Inlet" . If this isn't for shore power, what is it for? 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The switch for the starboard side should close to the shore power inlet, like under a seat. On my 280, it is under the U shaped seat on starboard side of the boat. It will have an outlet cover with a similar breaker. There has to be a breaker within a certain amount of feet, which I believe is 5, from the shore power connection.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Oh, okay. Yes there's another breaker just under my starboard gunwale, between the two loungers. That must be the starboard shore power breaker. 

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    Exact.

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is it!!!
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    And here I was mindlessly turning on/off the port inlet breaker everytime I connected/disconnected starboard shore power.  I've had this boat for 3 years. Like someone else said, you never stop learning about your boat, but now that I know so much about her, I'd hate to let her go. Just knowing where everything is, and what everything does is 90% of the battle.

"Boat + Water = Fun"