Options

Hatch and Sound Shield

I have two questions.  I recently had my Kohler 5ECD generator serviced and now the access panel on the sound shield won't stay shut.  It appears as though it is missing a piece on the back of the latch.  Can anyone tell me what is supposed to be there?  Also, the locking mechanism for one of my hatches has come loose.  What adhesive is recommended to make this repair.  Once again, thanks very much for everyone's help.

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    I got a replacement hatch from West Marine. It cost like $30 and was very easy to replace. It might be cheaper than buying glue, and I'm not sure glue will hold up, unless it is actually a solvent that can fuse the plastic together. I'm sure that top piece needs to be screwed in, so I also assume the threaded end broke?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the rest of the sound shield on right?  I mean not just screwed together, but down to the base too?  The latch just turns 90 deg, so if it is off on height it will not grab. Personally, I run mine less the cover (long story). It is not any louder. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    I believe there is a small rubber piece on the genny latch. I remember messing with it on my last boat, but just can't be sure remembering the details of what I did!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    boataholicboataholic Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Regarding the hatch, Bomar will not make an adhesive recommendation as the hatch is "ultrasonically" welded together.  There is no bolt holding it together on this particular hatch, only the weld.  I think I will try some epoxy unless someone can think of a better repair.  As for the sound shield, the other walls appear to be tight to the base as well.  With the latch in its closed position, it is not even close to the top lip where it should catch.  I can not find any pictures or part numbers on-line for the shield.  It looks like there has to be something missing.  I wish I could remember what it looked like!
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Most epoxy does not adhere well on plastic, try to use thick CA available in most hobby shop,
    if you can drill both ends and insert a small wooden peg into it  that should hold pretty good,
    if you need more info on CA glue let me know, if you never used before be careful it bond skin almost permanently .
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    French's hip has a great idea. What about drilling holes and filling holes and face with glue then getting to set. 

Or can you drill a short bolt right through and paint it black for aesthetics? 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    boataholicboataholic Member Posts: 26 ✭✭

Sorry it has taken me so long to thank you for your input.  I have been out of town celebrating the arrival of my second grandchild!  :)  I never considered the CA glue as I have never had a huge amount of success with it.  Too brittle I guess.  After your suggestion, I did more research and I think you may have the right idea as long as I select the correct formulation.  Any thoughts about my genny sound shield latch?

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    I forgot to look at mine this past weekend!  I'll try to remember this coming weekend to take a peek.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express