GPS "Module Not Responding"

II've gotten this alert intermittently since the boat was new.  This time it is sticking around.  Its never been updated and its a 2005.  Anyone else have this?  Lowrance says may be the connection.  I have no idea how to get ot he back of the unit.

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I lose position info every now and then, I have a power button for my GPS antenna and I just off/on it to reset. Try cutting the power to it to reset. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some GPS units have a setting that allows you to disable unit's internal GPS receiver to allow you to connect a remote one. I had a friend who was going nuts with a "no GPS signal available" until he found his son had been "pushing his buttons" (pun intended) and had disabled the internal GPS receiver. Dad went into the menu, selected internal GPS and all was well. That said, I like BD's suggestion: a shut off with a ten second count to let any capacitors drain (5 minutes would be better) then a re-power often triggers a factory re-set. If all else fails call Lowrance, or consult your manual for a factory re-set. If you do that I suggest you back-up your waypoint data etc. or you'd probably lose it. Good luck. MT
  • DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    That unit does not have an internal antenna. Your external antenna may be failing. I had to replace mine. In order to get access, you'll need to remove the switch panel or the fish finder below the 3300. You can start there to check your connections. You have another connection up on your radar arch behind the spreader light. I can give you step by step of you need.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makes sense D2. MT
  • explore7425explore7425 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    I can tell you what has worked for me on a Raymarine. I have had to power down the antenna and then restart everything. For some reason my antenna loses connectivity when I run the battery real low and it will not re-link until I physically disconnect power from the antenna and reconnect it. All this being said I had that Lowrance unit on a 342 we used to have. The antenna went bad and that was it. You probably just need a new one. 
    Bella Sabrina II  370EC
  • DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    The lgc2000 antenna on the lowrance is powered by the 3300 unit. They no longer make that antenna but you can still find them on ebay. A new 4000 model antenna will work but you need a red to blue terminal adapter.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • explore7425explore7425 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    I believe that unit may be nmea compatible. You can use an aftermarket antenna or a vhf radio with a built in gps antenna and wire the out to the unit's in. This can be done because I have done it. Either way it's going to cost a couple hundred bucks. 
    Bella Sabrina II  370EC