Options

Anchor to Fit in 1998 Captiva 232 Bow Anchor Box

Getting tired of lugging the anchor from the rear storage bin unto the bow when anchoring. Any one know of an anchor large enough to hold the boat (on mostly sandy bottoms) yet small enough to fit into the anchor box on the bow? My current fluke anchor holds fine but is too large to fit.

Answers

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Instead of buying a new anchor, is there anyway to modify the bow anchor box? Also could you be using too big of an anchor? It seems strange that the correct anchor has to be stored in the rear of the boat.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    On my 212 the Danforth anchor that the prior owners had didn't quite fit in the anchor storage in the bow. It was a very simple matter to trim about 3/8's inch from each side of the stock and 1/4 inch or so from each side of the crown and now it fits perfect. I sprayed the cut edges with spray on galvanizing paint. I boat in fresh water (Ohio River) with muddy or sandy bottoms for the most part and the Danforth does great for me. My point is that if it "almost" fits, can you modify it to fit without impacting its capabilities?

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

• Options
    randys58randys58 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭

My original question mentioned the wrong anchor; it's a Danforth not a Fluke. The width is not the problem; the length of the shank is too long to fit. I've seen smaller Danforth's on sale that would fit but I'm not sure they are heavy enough. Perhaps instead of asking about size I ask about weight? What weight anchor is about right for a Captiva 232?

• Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    20 lb plow anchor should be about right from the charts I looked at 
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    20lbs is HEAVY for 232. My normal daily use anchor is a 13lb Danforth. It has held strong in steady 25mph winds and was stuck like a rock to the bottom. This is sand/clay bottom. I only have 4' of chain too, so more would do even better. 

I'd bet a 8-10 lb danforth would fit well and hold well too.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    13 lb danforth is what I was discussing above. It certainly fits well lengthwise in my 212, so I would think it would fit a 232 (although I have never seen a 232).

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The anchor locker in the 232 is rather small. I found a plow anchor fit the best. There used to be a company that made a small plow anchor that was self righting via a small built in air pocket that fit perfectly in the anchor locker. The company has gone out of business and I sold my 232, so I can't help you on a measurement. I found that the fluke style anchors would not fit without some kind of modification.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    RODNEYRODNEY Member Posts: 2
    I have the small box anchor and love it.  it folds up and fits into storage without any problems at all.