Options

Dingy for a Fiesta 25

epenelaepenela Member Posts: 7

Hello,

I have just purchased a 2006 Fiesta 25. It has a platform in the stern, I would like to buy for next year an small dingy with engine with all the hardware to attach it to the platform .... I am concerned with weight and navigability... Is there any recommended max weight, models, hardware or any advice I can get about this?

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of options to consider!  For attachment, consider a Weaver Davit system.  There are people who just go with the soft bottom and drag it up on the platform and tie it to the stern too.

For the dinghy, #1 limit will be the dinghy length Vs your beam.  Then soft (air) floor or hard bottom (RIB).  RIB's are more money and typically are heavier than airdecks, but offer a lot of advantages.  Then material: PVC Vs Hypalon..if you can swing the 30% or so premium, hypalon is well worth the upgrade.  PVC material and the glue breaks down in the sun. 

For an engine, weight for handlability (taking on/off) is key, unless you opt for a davit system that lets you keep the engine on (flat/roll on style or the Weaver engine swing system).  If you just need something to put around to the beach, around the marina etc look for an older 2-stroke Merc 3.3hp (28lbs) they are perfect for that, or even the newer Torqeedo (all electric), you'll want a short shaft motor (15").  If you go 4-stroke just be aware they can only lay on one side when not mounted or you'll hydrolock the engine with oil, not to mention they are heavier.

Having a dingy is a great asset IMO for beach and just a relaxing putting around.  If you are on big water it's also your life raft. :)

Good luck on your hunt!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    epenelaepenela Member Posts: 7