Options

Cabin Layout - 2005 Rinker 290 FV

Good Morning,

Just wondering if its completely unheard of to remodel a cabin layout.  Being the architect that I am, and considering  that our 2005 express cruiser is GREAT, but the interior layout is very awkward.  And I may just have slight cabin ENVY over the 300 express of the same year.   Some thoughts from the experts...??

Comments

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Anything can be done if you have the $$$$$$$$$ to do it........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    jhortajhorta Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    So your saying I need to get a paper route basically.   Got it... 
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Just consider the weight distribution.  If the boat is level now then you'll need to keep that in mind so there is not to much added to one side.  That would be a disappointment.  Otherwise great project and please share pictures of your progress...
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to level out the sink/stove counter on my 342, but it looks like a big job having been in the cabinets before. Could end up a big mess. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    It's off about .13" per foot. 1.5" total. I have pans that just slide off the range. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Consindering this is my first boat, I think the 290 is just fine.  Give me a 342 and I'll end up in Cuba by mistake.  I can live with the layout, and eventually upgrade I suppose.   As for the eggs issue, you could always machine a pan with a built in slope... 
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    jhorta said:
    Consindering this is my first boat, I think the 290 is just fine.  Give me a 342 and I'll end up in Cuba by mistake.  I can live with the layout, and eventually upgrade I suppose.   As for the eggs issue, you could always machine a pan with a built in slope... 
    That sounds like something an engineer would say...  :)
    I have the 2004 290.  Do you have the port side bed with opposing seating at the table?  We have the amoeba shaped forward bed with the l-shaped seating.  The 290's issue (IMHO) was that getting away from the traditional v-berth wrap around seating was a great idea for change, but the boat itself really needed another foot in beam like the 310/312 has to make it all work.  I have also thought about remodeling the whole forward berth/galley areas, but I will have to get many other things off my to-do list first.  On a side-note, the 310/312 is the largest boat I could fit in my slip, and the admiral won't give up our prime slip.  I figure it would not be worth the expense and worry about getting an unknown used boat, when I know what I have here, and then once getting it, just wishing that I had gone right for the 342.  So...I get to save money and still have an awesome boat with all of what I NEED, and almost everything that I want....especially the twin engine/drives.  So..If you do remodel, definitely make it a big picture post for me to drool over during the winter months.  
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    I do have the same set up as you.  Not very attractive, unless you are looking at the photos from the brochures back in 2004/5.  I'm sure we will make do.  Thinking about the balance and structural integrity of the vessel, I wonder if it makes sense to do anything but love my boat for a few years, and up-size once I have mastered it all.  The left side of my brain is completely disagreeing with this mind you, so I will keep you posted on anything I decide to do.  Ultimately, would be nice to pull out the dinette and forward birth, and configure it similarly to the 2006 300 Express. Same hull I believe....
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure I'm just dense but BD and RY are you saying that your boat hull sits level in the water but your cabin counter top is not level? MT
  • Options
    Termites perhaps.....
  • Options
    Michael: yes. The whole cabinet section is off kilter. You can see it compared to the shower and the hull lines on the interior. One side or the other needs to move up/down about 1.5". 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Really BD???? Do not have that problem on my 2002 342FV.......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Indeed. I'll get a pic. Maybe I got the Monday after a party weekend build. lol. Pans slide off the range, that's the slope I'm dealing with. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Is your marina on a hill???? lol
  • Options
    raybo3 said:
    Is your marina on a hill???? lol
    Oh man...I left my marina because it was on a hill.  Current was awful!!
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    So the reading near level is the vertical wall of the head (near range). The one at 3 degrees is the counter top. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Wow that is off quite a bit. Must have been a friday boat....lol 
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Yours is 'level' though?  Odd if your 2002 is good and the 2003's are off. 

Maybe one of you Facebook guys with Al contacts can ask if he ever fixed this and how.
    Post edited by Black_Diamond on

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I never put a level on it but if I cook something its pretty even.  I will put a level on it and let you know.
  • Options
    My drinks are always level on the galley countertop, so I know my 290 is level   :) Right to the rim!
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    The frig and drawers are perpendicular to the counter top. The gap from the frig to the wall of the head is about 1" at the top and almost 2" at the bottom. Even the trim at the ceiling is parallel to the counter top. So the whole galley insert is off kilter. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    BD did you notice this when you bought your boat? Surveyor? This seems like a problem. I do not have that on my boat. I will put the level on but no way is it off like that....
  • Options
    The same as BD or mine?
  • Options
    Here's how far off my galley is off level. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    So your telling me if you fill a glass of water to the top and place it on your counter it will spill over because the counter is not level????? I do not have that problem with mine but I never put a level on it. I will check the next time I am at the boat.
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    RY: since you made some contact with Al, can you drop him a note about this and if he has ever fixed it?

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Raybo: yes.  

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you think the generator makes it sit that much lower in the water? Is there any other heavy weight added at stern as an option, like extra batteries. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    My gen sits along my port engine. 2 starter batteries on the 'shelf' over the outdrives, house batteries along my starboard engine. 

The shower/head insert sits fine. The whole galley cabinet insert is made off kilter. I think I would have to add a huge amount of ballast at the bow to fix it that way. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BD, I was actually thinking whether after factory options made it sit that way, but if your head is level then that can't be it. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"