Options

winterizing oil change. break in oil change done at 20 hours, now has 32 hours 5 weeks later.

Strother85Strother85 Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
Is it necessary that I do another oil change while winterizing?  I did the 20 hour break in oil change at the beginning of August and have only put 12 hours on the boat since then.  I am winterizing and packing the boat away this weekend so no more hours will be put on the boat until next season. The boat will be stored inside cold storage garage. I have a 350 mag in a 2014 captiva 276.

Note: I have spoken with two mercruiser dealers over the phone and received an "absolutely" from one and the other a "its not necessary".  

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

x

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that engine is still under warranty, which I assume it is given its only at 32 hours, I would change the oil. You don't want to give mercruiser an excuse to not warrant the product, should something go wrong. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Thats the way I was leaning.  Just wanted to make sure I was not "wasting" my time.  In the grand scheme of things, the $70ish to do the oil change is well worth the peace of mind.
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    I did 2 oil changes in my first season too, same package as yours.

Cheap insurance, IMO.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
    I fog my engines when winterizing. Didn't know the EPA had a problem with it. Not like that would stop me anyway.   I usually change my oil in the spring but I have always read that you should change at the end of the season. I guess I hate the idea of mixing that fogging oil with fresh oil  not like you really put that much fogging oil in anyway.  Guess I'm just lazy in the fall.  

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I am not a chemist but "they" say the old oil gets acidic if you let it sit. That's why I change it the fall...... Just saying...
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    edited November 2014

x

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    MT I was told that fogging oil will "burn" off when you start your engine. It will not contaminate your motor oil. I have always been told its best to change oil in the fall and let the clean oil sit in your engine for lay up time. Personally I think its 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    edited November 2014

x

• Options
    seguirseguir Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    You guys talk "fogging" but I thought you should not fog a MPI engine? Comments please.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

x

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    You should not fog a MPI engines see Drew comments on this matter.
  • Options
    Frenship putting a fogging additive into the gasoline is fine. I have done it for years with EFI and MPI engines. Drew is talking about the "older" method preferred by long time boaters of spraying/pouring fogging oil right into the intake directly until the engine stalls.  RY I have never fogged a diesel. MT 
  • Options
    Mike,
    What I meant is not to fog thru throttle body as per the Infos  from Drew.  I do agreed the way you do it . 
  • Options
    edited November 2014

x

• Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    Fogging the engine is not necessary unless you plan to store it more than six months. Never had a problem in the spring starting up. With my older boats I used to fog every fall and then in the spring I had to install new spark plugs and etc to get the engine to operate properly... no thanks to the fogging.
  • Options
    seguirseguir Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys...I thought so, I have been  using star tron on every fill up.   So I think i'm good.
  • Options
    rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
    I've been fogging my 5.0 MPI's using a spray can of fogging oil, spraying directly into the intake, since I have owned them.  Never any problems, or fouled plugs.  Why is it that you are not supposed to do this on MPI engines?  Just wondering.

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

• Options
    Look for Drew post on this.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

x

• Options
    Did not realize my question would generate this much discussion but I'm glad, learning a lot reading the experiences/opinions everyone has.  Anyway, I ended up doing the oil change, now I'm ready for spring.  Not sure if everyone does it this way but I did 3 steps at once twice...flushed the cooling system with tap water/muffs while warming the engine for the oil change with the fuel coming from a portable can with a non-ethanol fuel/fogging additive mixture.  Then shut it down, changed the oil/filter, changed the fuel/water separator filter element, and drained water from cooling system (how awesome are the collection hoses off the manifolds that lead to a low drain point by the way!?) and using same non-ethanol fuel/fogging additive from portable can, started back up and ran the -100 marine antifreeze through the system, sucked up about 2 gallons before it started leaking back out. The entire process maybe took me 2 hours and I think next year will take less.

Thanks for the advice all!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I change the oil and my last 'trip' is just to the haul out crane.  I store inside/heated, don't even bother 'winterizing'. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    RY..the biggies to laying up a diesel is the oil change and checking the coolant PH level, it can get acidic.  I don't think you can 'fog' it as it will burn in the engine unlike in a gas engine. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Fogging can mess up the MAP/air temp / air pressure sensors on MPI engines.  If it's been working for you can't deny that! 

PC BYC, Holland, MI