Cleat/Bow Rail nut access in 342

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
I have to back out, re-seal and re-screw the screws for my cleats and bow rail on the deck.  I have some "bleeding" from one of the bow rail mounts.  I think maybe it could be from the bow spot light, or at least I hope that is the source since the rails are stainless.  Either way I'd like to re-seal all the bolts for the cleats and bow rail.  

I heard the nuts that these bolts go into are not fixed, but floating and that I'd need to remove the headliner in the V berth to access the nuts.  I see the screw caps, and assume (not the best option) that by removing the caps and screws I can can remove the headliner.  

Has anybody gone through this process?

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did a few of my bow rail mounts last winter, more this winter.  Removing the headliner will not help you, you have to cut the vinyl that is on the wall and wraps around the area where the bowrail mounts.  You are correct: there are just nuts on the inside, so you need to get access, scrape off the caulk, then unscrew.  You'll probably find all the screws are bent too.  The two most forward bowrail mounts are almost impossible to get to.  Two of the port bowrail mounts near the head area are also impossible to get to unless you cut into the fiberglass. 

The 3 bowrail mounts I was able to get to, I resealed with butyl tape.  I had to pull the upper cabinet for the galley to get to one of the bowrail mounts too.  PITA

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Yay.   :\

Thanks for the info.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I've got to do the same to one now rail stancion which is Stbd side mid cabin. I assumed I would be best to cut the liner. How did you patch? I was thinking of just finding a decent looking white plate at Home Depot. Thanks 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Yes, you have to cut that liner, Depending if it is the one in the TV cabinet or the one over the 'shelf' area; in the TV area I just left it, over the shelf (which you have to take out to get to) cut careful and small and you can press the cut flap back in, even glue it. It is almost unnoticable in that area. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Thanks, this is an 06 342 by the way. It is the one in the upper shelf area. Looked like I can just do the work with the shelf in place do I really need to remove the shelf?

You can try without, at least might have to drop it down. Mine was too tight to get a wrench into plus you have to scrape away the caulk they covered it all in. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Yea looking at it today I will have to at least drop it. Any tips? Is taking it down easy?

Yes, it drops easily. Two brackets at each end and I think another two going into the headliner. I took mine completely out, really tight to get out and back in. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to revive an old thread but I also need to reseal my bow rail. Starting to get a little water seeping in near my mattress and then two of my mounts seep out water under the flange on the bow. Luckily the three that need immediate attention are all on the starboard side, but looks like it will still be a big PITA. 

You guys mention taking a shelf down, is that for the shelf in the v birth or by the seating mid cabin?  The one by the v birth mattress right above the window I can feel the bolts in the vinyl (this one I know is leaking), it looks like there is one in the TV cabinet, and then between the two windows mid cabin. 

Also did anyone happen to take any pictures to document the process for any of them by chance? 

Right now just trying get everything winterized and ready for hibernation. Will tackle this project during the winter months and dreading it.