Options

Hardtop-mounted DVD player - replacement ideas?

LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
In the cockpit of my 370, there's a DVD player with fold-down screen on the underside of the hardtop.  Has anybody replaced theirs with something else?  Any suggestions for a mounting arrangement?

The DVD player works fine, but it's kinda primitive.  It can't display external inputs (TV, laptop etc.) and the screen is small-ish by today's standards.  But I don't want to replace it with something that will break the first time we hit rough weather.

Comments

• Options
    explore7425explore7425 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    I have the same boat. I did not replace the TV but I did add to it. That TV will accept 2 inputs. One is used for the DVD but the other is not used at all. I took the TV down and hooked a set of RCA cables to it ( Component, L&R Audio). I ran them down to a wall plate in the piece of starboard that the TV switch is in. Then I put the TV back up. Now at least I have the ability to input something to the TV if I want to. We really don't ever use it but we have a cable that goes from the iphone to component. This allows us to watch Netflix or anything accessible by the iphone on that TV. It would be nice to get a newer model that could take HDMI but to tell you the truth it probably all for not considering it will never get used. 
    Bella Sabrina II  370EC
  • Options
    That's a great solution.  Was it difficult to reach the inputs?  How is the unit attached to the hardtop?  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Yeah, I'm with you guys.  It'd be nice to replace it with something that actually has a TV in it.  I used it once when we first got the boat and then another time a few weeks ago.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    explore7425explore7425 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    It has been a while since I did it. It wasn't too bad. I have to go to the boat and look at it to remember what the process was taking it down. 

Bella Sabrina II  370EC
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't there a tuner on the combo unit? If not, what about buying an off air digital tuner that has video out and using explore7425's method of getting the inputs into the combo unit.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Greg, that might actually work pretty well.  I'll have to look into that as a fun winter project!  Won't take much, but will give me something to tinker with.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Mine has a small external tuner that feeds the TVs in the galley and forward cabin, so both screens can show the same feed.  The screen in the cockpit is completely separate (DVD only).  

I rarely watch TV -- but hockey season is almost upon us!  I'll try to do this mod without having it spin out of control and turn into a major project.