Options

Mildew....

212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've never seen anything like this year with the mildew.  Maybe it has to do with all the rain and such... but, it's not just the boat.. the golf cart seats, the motorcycle seats, on and on- anything of similar material is growing that stuff like it's a garden.

I spent $60 on a single gallon of some stuff the sales staff just raved about... it didn't even put a dent in it on any of the stuff I put it on... me being me, I went back and informed them of such just to receive a blank stare and a "dowhahuh? wow.."... 

What works, fellas?  I despise there being spots on my upholstery... I clean that thing religiously every time I use it, and several times over the off season when it mostly just sits there...

What's worked for me in the past was prevention, not getting rid of it after the fact- silicone spray... I didn't use it this season, where before I'd spray all the upholstery and even the engine with the stuff- and it worked like magic....

I'm at a loss, though... what will kill this stuff and not damage the upholstery? 

Comments

• Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried the Mr. Clean magic erasers? I use them a couple times a year and they get the seats gleaming white with no damage. Just make sure to use something like 303 protectant afterwards. They work well on fiberglass too. Mild amount of bleach in them.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    I'll give that a shot... I have a case of them, as I use them on the fiberglass pool- and they work magic on that horrid line that appears at the water line that's made up of freakin' suntan oil and God knows what else.  I don't know why it hasn't occurred to me before you mentioned it!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I disagree with using magic eraser on your seats. It will eventually take the luster off the seats and make them dull looking. I do use it on the hull sometimes but then I reapply wax.    
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    I do exactly what Joe stated.  I use the eraser, then use 303 afterwards for protectant. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The magic eraser does get those seats white, but it works using micro abrasion, so with repeated use, it will dull the seats and break down the vinyl. I've used it on my seats only for tough areas, but I am very careful and use them sparingly.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Mark, I agree not to use them all the time.  I typically use them once in the spring on the seats, then use 303 the rest of the summer to keep it that way.  It'll scratch fiberglass with first use if you're not careful (I don't use it on fiberglass).

• Options
    I only used it two times on my seats and it cleaned them great but then I could not get that real nice shine out of them.  I will not ever use it on my "new" seats. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    I picked up.Some star bright mildew remover this morning after posting this... As soon as the wife gets home and bails me out of baby duty I'm going to.give it a shot... my God, I've become domesticated.... okay... Add to the star bright a flask of pappy and an anejo #46 to give me my ego back... report to follow, and hopefully coherent... 
  • Options
    Star brite mildew stain remover is good dang stuff... I thought I may get one seat done tonight, another tomorrow, another.... You get idea... Twenty minutes later the boat is pristine.... This particular one was sprayed again once I was done go taping it (sorry for breathing, was balancing on trailer rail and it was close to my head) and is even better than the video ending... Great stuff to be sure... 

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hEc481PaefI#
  • Options
    Glad it worked well. I'll bet a magic eraser wouldve had it white in one swipe.

I agree not to use it very often, but once at the beginning of the season with 303 regularly throughout the year I think will be ok.

I have a feeling two 75lb dogs with nails will kill my seats long before they get dull from little bleach..... :)
  • Options
    And I've yet to dislike ANY Starbrite product. They seem to really make solid stuff at a reasonable price.
  • Options
    I've never encountered mildew that was so tenacious... it kept growing no matter what I did... I'm just glad it's gone, now...

As far as star brite, I've endorsed two products here (and elsewhere) now, and both are star brite products.. Star tron is GREAT stuff, and now this stuff.. .  
  • Options
    drew, that is amazing. After the first application, which didn't take it off, I was thinking it was going to take forever. Wow.  I wonder if this can be used to simply get the seat white again, even if there isn't mildew?

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I used it incorrectly... As you can see I just pulled back the port bow cover to test it... I should have sprayed it and walked away for at least five minutes, but I lack patience... I spent the ten minutes flowing this video spraying the rest of the boat, which allowed it to work it's magic drying some... It wiped off with little effort, and I rinsed it really well afterward. ... My sunpad is amazing right now... I'm sold on this stuff.. 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    those boxes/hanging things they sell for mildew in boats/rv's work too as a preventative.  Although keeping out the moisture and add some sun is always best!  Sounds so easy...  lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Good video glad it all worked out for you.......
  • Options
    That's great Drew!  I may have to keep that stuff in mind!  but as you said, preventive is best if possible.  Glad you got it clean!

• Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Bought the StarBrite mildew remover. Worked awesome! Got rid of some mildew/stains I've been fighting for a couple years now. Does work best if you "spray & walk away" 5 min later - all gone.
    Really be careful with Magic Erasers. (melamine sponges) they do in fact remove part of the surface you are working on, like fine 1500 grit sandpaper. They work great on a lot of boat things - but not seats. As you scrape away the surface - you're creating a rougher surface for new growth to adhere to down the road.....
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many "magic" erasers contain formaldhyde which removes many stains quickly but also causes many if not most canvass/naugahyde type of surfaces (boat seats) to yellow. Starbrite is great as is a product called purple power which also works great on spider cr*p and won't damage any canvas or seating "naugahydes". MT
  • Options
    Formaldehyde = cancer. Stay away. 

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    Oxyclean works like a charm.  Mix it with a little mild cleaner like mr clean and some hot water.  Mold mildew stains anywhere on the boat just melt away.  No hard scrubbing needed.  I used a microfiber towel and mixed in double the amount of oxyclean.  
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 'formaldehyde' content is incorrect in those erasure sponges. http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/eraser.asp

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI